The not-so-soon arrival

At yesterday's appointment, the doctor informed me that Cutie's arrival will probably be later, rather than sooner. That's good and bad news. At least our upcoming, last-hurrah trip carries a minimal risk of having the baby in Florida. This news also keeps me from spending the last four weeks of pregnancy with one foot out the door to the hospital. (remember all of those false alarms with Bubby? I really like Uncle B's account of this episode.) Then again, I would really, really like to have this gal before the end of the year (read: 2008 tax exemption #3).

I've also learned that doctors and midwives can give estimates and make predictions based on current circumstances, but the only thing that's for sure is that Cutie will be here when she's ready. At this point, I'm definitely ready!

I like having due dates around major holidays. That way, we avoid traveling, and everybody comes to us (I hope). Since we'll be at home this year, we decided to put up a Christmas tree for the kids. This morning, I went to Target and bought the one that they had reduced in price, because Walmart was selling it for $15 less. Then, I almost left it under the shopping cart in the outside corral, until Precious spied it. I put it up during the kids' nap, and when they woke up, they were so excited!

As I was separating the fake branches to fill out the tree, I was contemplating on whether I was a fake Christmas tree-gal or a real Christmas tree-type. After realizing that I would have to keep a real tree alive for a whole month, I decided that a reusable, fake tree definitely suits me better. Also, I had always thought white lights were far more elegant that multi-colored lights. Well, after watching Bubby walk around the tree and name each light by color, I've decided that for kids, colored lights are the way to go. After all, this is for the kids, right?

Comments

Sarah said…
We've put up ours, too...Philip got the biggest thrill over the girls' excitement! Of course, having a Christmas tree with two 3-year olds is....about how you'd imagine!
Anonymous said…
yes, those tacky multi colored trees is what i had growing up and is what we do for the children! we love it! there will be some tree training this year for young john ezra. :( he is JUST at the perfect age for this to be a tough holiday season for him. LOL!

hey, do you remember the colored lights that were actually BULBS! like on a chandelier? my mama still has the same ones from when i was a kid! i wish i could find those.

p.s. we are fake tree family but i get to go back to my mama's house and smell her glorious live one!
merry Christmas!
Unknown said…
You are one smart momma. I decorated ours with all 3 kids wide awake and investigating every ornment they took out of the box while "helping" me decorate it. Thankfully only 3 balls got broken and no one got cut.
New Mommy said…
Jenn- I think I vaguely remember huge lights like that on my grandma's tree. But, she's since graduated to the smaller ones. I did a little research for you, since I love being so helpful :D. The size you're looking would be something like c6 through c9. The small ones are m5.

About the live tree smell- that's exactly what I miss! I'm thinking about a candle... :P
Anonymous said…
thanks sharon, i'll check those out!
jennifer