Blueberry Bread Pudding

This was my choice for today's Christmas potluck at New Daddy's work. He had told them I'd be making the Texas Wheat Cake, but I changed my mind. I made this for breakfast the morning that we had Bubby dedicated, and it was so yummy! I got the original recipe from the Breadbeckers, where they use a pressure cooker to cook it in 15 minutes. Since I don't have a pressure cooker, I modified the recipe to bake it in the oven. Made with Real Bread (the freshly ground hard red stuff), it is incredibly delicious, plus a great source of fiber and antioxidants!

Blueberry Bread Pudding

1/2 c butter, melted (1 stick)
1 c half and half or milk
3/4 c mild honey (clover, orange blossom, etc.)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c blueberries, fresh or frozen (thawed and drained if frozen)
8 c bread cubes

Butter an 8-inch round baking dish or 8-cup steam pudding pan. Combine butter, milk, honey, eggs, vanilla and nutmeg. Beat until smooth. Stir in blueberries.

Place bread cubes in bowl and pour fruit mixture over cubes. Toss gently until bread is well-moistened. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes 6-8 servings.

Comments