Repainting the kids' rooms

Almost nine years ago, we had put in an offer that was accepted on our current house, knew we were moving in a few weeks, and we wanted to pick some paint colors.  We had never lived in the house, didn't know which way the sun hit it, or how the sun affected the interior light.  But we wanted to paint when we moved in!  Oh, yes, we did!  So we went to the Lowe's in Oxford, Alabama in between Sunday services and picked out those paint colors!

We were gonna put in a chair rail in that dining room (that we had forgotten didn't really have much wall space anyway), paint it shiny brown, and put Homestead Resort Moss above it and La Fonda Deep Olive below!  [with three children ages four and under, the youngest being three months old when we moved in.]


Right.

Wow, were we stupid.

During the summer of 2015, we did repaint the kitchen and dining room during the first kitchen overhaul.  We decided on the gorgeous Benjamin Moore "Rhine River".  I still love it.

For nine years, we had this left over, [free] paint sitting in the garage.  A quick google search confirmed that unopened paint was good for 10 years (and it had only been 9!).  So on went Homestead Resort Moss in the boys' room.  Except the color name had changed, apparently by a rather tongue-in-cheek color namer: "Throw Rug".  Say that a few times and ask yourself if that sounds like, hmmm... something else?  When I stated the new color to Grandmama R on the phone, she couldn't stop giggling... I wonder why?

Enter-- the "throw up" green room:
"I love it!" Bubby exclaimed in a high, fake voice upon first seeing his "new" room.  He didn't want my work to be wasted.  He is a dear heart.  But he didn't mean what he said.

So, a $31 gallon of paint and a week later, the boys finally obtained the color that they love!  And I love!  And we learned a great deal from our mistake... I hope.  This is Sherwin Williams "Evergreen Fog" that we had mixed in Behr Ultra eggshell paint.  (The throw up green was satin finish, so I got to sand every inch of wall and wipe it down before I could put on the new green.  Grrrr.)

I found the birch wall decals from Hobby Lobby.  Bubby had the great idea to stack his Trofast storage frames, which gave them more floor space and put his legos where Tater can't easily reach them-- ahem.  Both frames are anchored to the wall.

 Super pleased at how their current art and mismatched furnishings fit in with such an agreeable green.  Perfectly forest-y, I think.

And the girls!  I had actually painted their room first.  It took three sample cans to get their color light enough, but we were very pleased.  Behr "Teal Wave" at 50% coloration, satin finish.  It was like the lottery finding the people who knew how to dial down the percentage, and we wasted two gallons of paint at Home Depot's expense with incorrect formulas.  I thought I was going to lose my mind after working all day and then realizing that we had the wrong color.  But I appreciated that we didn't have to pay for their mistakes, and they made it right.


The girls got the same blinds as the boys- just hadn't installed them when this photo was taken.

Comments