The March Post

I messaged a blog link to a friend and started reading past posts, and I realized how much I enjoy this blog, this peek into our past lives before we had four children, when Precious was a hilarious toddler, and Bubby was a teething baby... oh, my.  So I decided to write down some moments before the month is over and I haven't a single post to show for it.

February

  • 2-3-14 Tellus Science Museum field trip with our Classical Conversations group.  Tater pointed to the model of the sun and the dinosaurs, saying, "WOW!" for anything that he found interesting.  Great fossil dig at that museum.
  • Ice and snow on the 13th!
  • The chick that we hatched out in September started crowing.  We found out that a couple at church wanted a rooster, so we caught him this past Sunday (quite a chore) and delivered him to them.  The yard is now much quieter with Mr. Tableson lacking his conversational partner.  February and March were full of loud, rooster-y mornings for us.


March

  • Tater's language explosion.  He's saying things on cue now, which means that at 21 months, he's trying to say almost everything, including names.  "I see the light!" was his first sentence last week.
  • The weird flu-stomach-stuff that kept us out of a week of school and had Precious taking over the housework like a pro.  That we all just felt a little discomfort, congestion, and general laziness made me very thankful for the GAPS diet.  We had a light case and no complications.
  • Had piano movers come in and move the piano from the living room down to the basement.  This was a big step towards setting up for recording and me starting a music studio in several months.  The Yamaha P140 is now in the kitchen.  I think the kids are practicing a lot more since I'm not yelling to them into the living room where the acoustic piano used to sit.  I spend most of my time in the kitchen, and I can pay much better attention to their practice.  I even squeezed in a lesson and a half with Cutie yesterday and today.  We had been getting pretty slack.
  • Homeschool convention- day out for New Mommy with other mamas while Grandmama babysat.
  • Poppy and Mimi visiting and (once again) catching us up on laundry, changing our sheets, ironing New Daddy's pants, dispensing math techniques and reading to charming grandchildren, and playing music in the basement.

I realized the most remarkable thing about Rosie when we were chasing the rooster around last Sunday morning like hillbillies.  She took a seat in the yard and watched us with a most aloof expression on her face.  Why would they be chasing that bird? she wondered.  That dog who apparently doesn't recall ever chasing a bird herself, much less killing several.  In retrospect, I can see that those days of rolling her, telling her NO!, spray-collaring, were only mildly effective.

Time has done its job, and we have a mature guardian.  In my mind, I was halfway hoping that she would help us out in our pursuit; she was surely more capable of catching that rooster than we were.  But it was not in her.  She was absolutely golden.

We love her.

Comments

A Joyful Chaos said…
What a beautiful dog! I'm always relieved when the puppy days are over and a mature loyal dog takes place of the in training young pup
Alissa said…
Hello!! I've just rediscovered your blog... I lost the link when Google reader went down, and though I tried googling it a few times, do you know how many "new mommy" blogs there are out there?! I've enjoyed catching up on how old all of the children are, and read your GAPS posts with interest... looking forward to hearing more, as well as some of the recipes you've enjoyed. God bless you!
New Mommy said…
Hi Alissa! Good to see you again! I don't know if you are wanting to do any facebook, but I've started a "What's Sharon Cooking" facebook page to post GAPS-friendly food that I've been preparing. (I gave MV my facebook login since her husband isn't much for fb, haha ;)). Here's the link.
Alissa said…
Thanks for that link! My husband isn't much for fb either, but I've enjoyed looking through your recipes. That coconut porridge looks lovely... might have to give that a try tomorrow! Unfortunately I can't try any of the cakes or chocolate mousse... all sugars are out for me, except fruit. Even 1/4 teaspoon of honey will leave me feeling dizzy for a couple of hours. Happy for those that can have it though!
New Mommy said…
Wow- I've never thought of sugar causing dizziness. If you can see the comments, we didn't really love the coconut porridge. It was okay, but not amazing :).