Just have to throw my thoughts into the fray

Why is it that the people who rail against the Pearls have the kids that you can't have a decent conversation around, for dealing with their whining, screaming and fit-pitching?  What have these folks found that works so much better?  Whatever they're doing, it sure wouldn't work for me; it makes their criticism of the Pearls a bit ridiculous.  Did the critics even read the book?  Probably not, because their kids stress me out.  (If you're reading this, I'm not talking about your children. :))

Do weirdos take the Pearls' advice and go astray with it?  Yes.  The Pearls have responded to these examples over the years.  But does that make the rest of the sensible folks who understand the balance of child training (and who have happy, lively children) horrible people?  Um, no.  Do we need to "rise up and say no to the Pearls"?  What would that accomplish?  My children understand child training, and they appreciate it.   Well-trained children need very few spankings.

Let's stop being ridiculous.  I wouldn't, for a skinny minute, let the idiots who kill their children use a book as a scapegoat for their demon possession.

Okay, I feel better now.  Couldn't write this on facebook.

And, while I'm on the topic, I'd like to add that I just rediscovered that a child's will is conquered when they're sixteen months (not years) old, while they're really, really cute.  No spanking needed, just a mom with an iron will, a gentle voice, and a sweet smile.

Here's what happened.

Tater was being fed this stew that I'll probably make again, since it was pretty popular with New Daddy and the other kids.  He stuck out his tongue, tasted it, and decided that he didn't want it.  I let him get down from the table and run around.  About an hour later, he was getting grumpy for food, so I put him back in his chair and attempted to feed him stew again.  He turned his head away.   Mama sees "picky eater" raring its head.

I looked Tater in the eye, and in a low voice said, "Tater, this is hot dog stew, and you are going to eat this."  And I opened his mouth and put the bite inside his mouth.  Tater gave me the (cutest) look of shock.  After that, he accepted several more bites from my hand.  Then finally, he took a bite from... the spoon.  Yes.  After a few more spoon bites, I let him back down to play.  He wasn't only happy because he had food in his tummy, but because he was secure in the order of the Universe.  The will was conquered, and a content, non-picky eater was on his way.

It's simple, and it's balanced.

Comments

Isaac's Wife said…
but i can't like a blog post. lol

"like"

hehehe just kidding. that was a nice reminder though about child training.
New Mommy said…
Lol!! I guess blogging does have its limitations, but not with candor being among them!
Anonymous said…
Wow! After reading this, it makes me wish I could go back in time and retrain my very picky eater (Lydia). Alex is pretty picky himself so at this stage, he doesn't believe I should force the kids to eat things they don't like, though he doesn't see anything wrong in my insisting she try new things on occasion. The good thing is that he will small amounts of eat certain things when politeness dictates (such as traveling overseas or at someone else's house) and he has explained this to Lydia repeatedly to where I've seen her do it before with no coaching. :)

Heather
New Mommy said…
That's neat, Heather! The rule when I was growing up was the same as life- at least try it. But if my kids declare they don't like something before they taste it, I make sure they eat every bite, haha!