(Weird) new baby goodies

It was a little embarrassing.  Someone would ask what they could get for us on the occasion of our new son's birth.  Part of my lack of response was that this is our fourth child, and I have accumulated most of what I need to take care of babies.  We use cloth diapers, and we have plenty of baby gear.  There were a few items we needed, and some friends and family have been so sweet to help us out with these things.

But the other things I needed (wanted?) are things that you just don't ask people to buy for you.  I needed new nursing ~ahem~ accessories and specific cloth diapering items that you just can't get at Target or its ilk.  And little did I know that the straps of our trusty Snugli carrier would completely disintegrate a week ago.  The gift card that New Daddy's coworkers so generously gave us would be just what we needed to get an Ergobaby carrier!

But I might be the most excited about our acquisition that New Daddy just attached to our toilet: a diaper sprayer.  No more diaper dunking and potty hijacking!  We just started with cloth diapers on Friday; Tater is so amazing with the potty, that so far, I haven't even had to use the sprayer.  He wet just three diapers on Saturday.  At three weeks old, the child loves the toilet; as soon as I put him over it and cue him "ssss," he starts grunting, whether he has anything or not.  It is the cutest thing.

I also bought Tater some leg warmers (boyish ones) for pottying in colder weather, a couple of new Velcro diaper covers (I'm getting too old for snaps), and ~drum roll for the finale~ a diaper pail that hangs on the doorknob!  It unzips at the bottom to let the diapers fall into the wash.  No nasty diaper-hands, and no stinky room!

Do you see why I can't ask for these things?  They do not fit into "normal" baby gift categories.  But at least, if we're going to be weird, we'll be happy this way-- especially Tater.

Tater met my grandparents yesterday!

Comments

Rebecca Riehl said…
I love your description of your baby's potty time! I do the Infant Potty Training too and they seriously do do that, try to go even if they can't! All of my 5 babies have used the potty but I never got them completely potty trained until a 1 1/2 yr old and some of the boys not that early. How old are yours when they are completely trained and go by themselves?
One benefit I see with using IPT is that it's a lot less stress when I finally get ready to put them into regular underwear!
New Mommy said…
Hi Rebecca, I can see that I need to make a collection of posts of pottying so that I can all get to them easily. My kids are all done around the same age as yours- about 1 1/2 years old. Here's the post where I talk about our overall schedule. It's under the "Cutie" update.