Soaked granola, for real this time

The last time I posted on soaked granola, I used a recipe from Glen-Ella Springs Inn and adapted it to make it more digestible. Well, this time, I'm just being a big ol' copycat. On p. 41 of the latest Beeyoutiful catalog, there's a recipe. And it's delicious. And the only thing I added to it was some whole wheat flour to get the phytase going for the phytic acid-stubborn oats.

I'm a protein-type. Carbs turn me into the ADD person that I was growing up, especially if I've forgotten my cod liver oil for the day. Anyway, this is one carb breakfast that doesn't give me brain-fog. Plus that, it stays with me. And the kids love it! This one's a winner, folks.


Soaked Granola

4 cups rolled oats
1/4 c freshly ground wheat flour
1/2 c butter or coconut oil (or a mix of both)
1/2 cups kefir, cultured buttermilk, or yogurt
1 cup water
--------------------------
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp sea salt (I rounded it a little the second time around)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
---------------------------
1/2 cup dried shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup crispy nuts, chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips
(this last set of ingredients is mix-and-match, whatever you want in your granola-- chopped candied ginger, apricots-- whatever, is fine. These are just some ideas for 3 cups of "gems" for your granola.)

  • Mix the first set of ingredients together in a large bowl (oats, flour, butter or oil, buttermilk, water).
  • Cover with a cloth and/or plate and allow to sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
  • After soaking, preheat oven to 200 degrees.
  • Mix next set of ingredients (honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and salt). Stir over medium heat until the mixture becomes like a thin liquid.
  • Combine honey mixture and oat mixture.
  • Spread blend out on parchment paper-lined or greased cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 2-4 hours, until granola is dry and crisp.
  • Cool before removing to a container. It becomes crisper as it cools.
  • Mix in last set of ingredients, as desired.
  • Store in an airtight container.
  • Serve with milk, yogurt, or by itself. (We love it with our raw milk, of course!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
This sounds good. I'm going to have to try this :) Chris Williams
New Mommy said…
Great! Please post back if you made changes and like them!
Sarah said…
I've got to try this, too! I have been putting off making more granola (and had resorted to buying Kroger's store brand that I'd found to be pretty inexpensive as granola's go), but now I have no excuse to procrastinate longer. I've tried making granola 2 other times, and they were just okay to me, but my husband wasn't a fan at all. I'm excited to finally try a soaked version!
Sarah Shepperd :o)
Sarah said…
Okay, so I tried it!
Welllll...... Mine turned out like one giant cookie-sheet-shaped granola bar! Delicious though! With it being soaked, how do you keep it from all caking together? I want it to be crumbly like traditional granola. I'm sure next time I'll spread it over 2 cookie sheets instead of 1, so that will help, but I'm not sure that will really cause the crumbly texture I'm looking for.
Sarah Shepperd
New Mommy said…
This recipe takes up three of my cookie sheets. It does taste a little better when it's spread more thinly :). It probably cooks a little more quickly, too.

I break up the cookie sheet-deal to make it into more bite-sized cereal pieces. Even when I do that, the texture is more akin to flaked cereal than granola.
Aly said…
Thanks for posting this! I'm slowly learning that I'm the protein-type, as well. Will have to try this recipe :) Do you have any other protein ideas... particularly for breakfast and snacks?
New Mommy said…
For breakfast, get your protein (eggs, sausage) first, and then finish off with the carbs (toast). For breakfast on the go, we get peanut butter bars from Perfect Foods and down it with a glass of (raw) milk.

Protein snacks- I keep a tub of grassfed pemmican in the freezer (from US Wellness Meats). Also, a double-yolk eggnog is always a quick pick-me-up for breakfast or a snack. I only eat raw eggs from my chickens or a farmer that I know personally, never a raw store-bought egg. :D