Recent events

Here are a few milestones to catch us up on the kids. I am now typing from ye olde PC, which needed a new power supply. A few pictures should be forthcoming.

Precious is now enjoying the wonderful world of *snapping* her fingers! I also bought her a few homeschooling materials from Queen Homeschool. The grammar lessons are too easy, and we have to read a paragraph at a time in the readings, or she loses interest very easily. I think, in time, she'll adapt to the more eloquent writing. At least she still understands the KJV Bible well enough.

Bubby loves to entertain us all. Right now, he likes to look especially pitiful when he gets corrected, to see if anyone else would like to wallow in pity with him. But, as it turns out, we usually laugh at him, which is an equally satisfying result. Yesterday, I gave him his first haircut from me. I think I could recall a few worse haircuts that I've seen on other boys. But, I'm having a hard time right now. For now, we'll just be glad that it will grow out, and I'll have another chance.

Cutie is sitting up for a few moments by herself before toppling over. She also got her first tooth yesterday. She loves to be gooched, laughs at us, and is quite the charmer. Cutie can also sit in and enjoy the ExerSaucer, which gives me a lot more hands-free time. I am not normally one who goes for baby gadgets. But, Mimi and Poppy bought this one for Precious, and I've used it for all three kids. By now, I think it's actually fulfilled its usefulness. It is handy for a baby who can put things in their mouth, support themselves, but not sit up quite yet. And the siblings enjoy hitting the music button and playing "Name that Tune."

A couple of funnies heard recently around the house:

At breakfast, the kids were making shapes out of their cinnamon toast. Bubby made a shape that looked like an eagle, and I thought that was a good opportunity for a little American (USA) history lesson.

ND: Did you know that they almost chose the turkey as our national bird, though?
NM: Hmm, good thing they didn't do that, or we probably wouldn't have lasted as long as we have.
ND: Yeah, the South would have won.

***********

New Daddy walked into the kitchen and bellowed in his most operatic voice: "Where is my hassenpfeffer?"

Bubby came tottling behind him from his room, in his boy-soprano: "Here I am!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
we are SOOOOOOOO doing the same thing right now, it is too funny! i was just online this weekend looking at the queenhomeschool stuff to buy for rachel in a few months. maybe anna too. i have always checked out the site but never purchased til now. let me know how you like it once you get going with it. i have read that alot of ppl think the grammer is too easy... we are about to start grammer with sarah using the "simply grammer" book. up until now i have just been mentioning things during our reading, no formal grammer as of yet.
i am at a bit of a crossroads with our materials. organization, or the lack thereof, seems to be my downfall.
jennifer
Sarah said…
Pictures....ah, how you tease us! =)

What books does Renee love right now? What are some of your favorites for her?
New Mommy said…
Jennifer- Monica got me on the Queen Homeschool-stuff. So, she might be a good person to ask, too. I'll try to give a play-by-play of what we do and don't like. Keep your fingers crossed!

Sarah- right now, favorite books are the ones we can find, haha! Today, Renee chose a story from the Eloise Wilkin collection to "read" to Noelle today. (Did you read We Help Mommy growing up? I did, and I loved the memories this collection brought back!)

I love to read Cynthia Rylant books to them (When I Was Young in the Mountains, The Relatives Came). She and I both love Miss Suzy by Arnold Lobel. And I'm reading - slowly - The Hundred Dresses by Eleonor Estes. By itself, it's too long, but she can handle short parts at a time. I'm not sure the moral aspects are outstanding to her, though.

She also went through a stage where she had to hear Sylvester and the Magic Pebble every day-- and cried when Sylvester was reunited with his parents, every day.

Here is the Charlotte Mason Year 0 reading list, to give you an idea of the types of books I like to read to her. Agh! As I read over it, I'm spotting several favorites! Brer Rabbit and The Story of Ping are two.
Anonymous said…
I ordered Zach & Esther age appropriate Language Lessons from queenhomeschool and I think they will really enjoy the gentle way language is learned! After doing Abeka language, Zach begs to do the queenshomeschool one...haha! I will supplement with another cirriculum though b/c this alone is just not enough. We will have to do 2 or more lessons somedays b/c they are so short! I am thinking of doing Wordlywise along with this and also Explode the Code books ( I think Esther will really love these)....but I am still looking. I may change my mind before ordering.:-D I did a few of these lessons with Zach when he got the book b/c I couldn't help myself. I love it b/c I can do picture study which I don't normally manage to fit into our day. The copywork is great too and I love all the poems they learn. I highly recommend these books!:D