The first piano lesson

About a month ago, Precious told me that she wanted to take piano lessons. I asked her if she wanted to go to a teacher, or if she wanted me to teach her. I was very willing to take her to someone else! But, she said she wanted me to teach her. Today, we happened upon a teachable moment, and so she had her first, short piano lesson.

I actually taught her from the couch. Our goal today was to find all of the C's on the piano. First, I had her find groups of two black keys together. (Okay, I did get up once to help her get started.) Then, I told her that the white key just below the two black keys was a C. I got her interested in finding different C's by giving each one a name, like "cat" and "cute." Within a few minutes, she was jumping from one C to the next!

Then, she crawled around the house meowing like a cat, and Bubby joined in.

I'm not sure if I should move on by showing her the ABC-thing, or to find F's, since that's the note below the black key groups of three.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is awesome! I am teaching Esther too...the little bit that I do know. She has been wanting to learn how to play since last year, but I didn't feel up to it yet. I told her when she turned seven. Well, she had her first lesson the other day. I got the idea from NGJ. I put the middle "C" note flash card on the piano and showed her middle "C" and a few others. What you're doing with Renee sounds great! I figured I could give her a start before getting her real lessons.:D
Anonymous said…
I recall a certain person who declared that she was taught more things than she really wanted to know!
Marie said…
I think the neatest thing about you teaching Renee is that you'll be able to create a good balance between ear training/playing by ear and note-training. I wish I'd had more of that from the beginning!

And--ahem--Daddy-- I remembered the music lessons, but alas, the calculus didn't stick so well...
Anonymous said…
Thats great she intrested!