The ultimate [vegan] oatmeal cookie

Okay, I didn't set out to make anything vegan. Anyone who knows me well knows that. All I knew was that New Daddy had been begging for cookies for weeks, months, who knows how long, and I am almost out of butter. But, I have plenty of coconut oil. Quick google search for coconut oil cookies. This link pops up.

I wasn't going to post the actual recipe, but after seeing a few words in the comments, I've decided to copy it and save us all the trouble of clicking through.

Pseudo-Scout Cookies - Vegan Samoas!
(adapted from Cooking the Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello)
yield: 25-30 cookies (I got around 20 cookies)

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry) I used whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup ground pecans
1/2 cup chopped pecans I decreased this to 1/4 cup and threw in 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup brown rice syrup (or a combination of brown rice syrup and maple syrup) I used 1/3 cup agave nectar and 2/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients, using your hands at the end if necessary. Drop rounded spoonfuls onto lightly oiled baking sheet (I used parchment paper- watch out, these cookies spread out quite a bit during baking!) and bake for approximately 14 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Tips:

  1. When working with coconut oil, be sure that all other ingredients are at room temperature or else you will get oil lumps. It may help to mix the oil with shredded coconut before adding other ingredients. My coconut oil was solidified, so I microwaved it for about 10 seconds.
  2. Do not overmix! Your cookies will be very tough if you do. Mix until ingredients are just combined.
  3. Do not overbake! Your cookies will be hard as rocks. Brown rice syrup tends to make cookies crunchy, so be aware of this and proceed accordingly. Increase the proportion of maple syrup to create a chewier cookie or decrease baking time. When you take out your cookies after 14 minutes, they will be so soft, you will be tempted to let them bake some more, but don't do it! These will firm up quite a bit. I'd say definitely use agave or maple syrup as part of your sweetener if you want a more chewy cookie.


~My modifications~
I used all maple syrup to sweeten. Yes, a whole cup. Wow. And I left the chocolate chips out of New Daddy's portion (most of the cookies), since he would not allow me to desecrate his oatmeal cookies with chocolate.

I'm also happy to say that I downed the cookies with a very non-vegan glass of farm-fresh, raw jersey milk.

Yum.

P.S. To give New Daddy hope that I might actually make another batch of these cookies before Cutie arrives, I said to him, "I could see myself craving these while I'm pregnant."

"Yeah, I'll probably crave them, too" was his reply.

P.P.S. Weston A. Price-unfriendly warning. These will give you icky tummy if you eat too many. They're vegan; what do you expect? :P

Comments

Anonymous said…
An oatmeal cookie without RAISINS? Oh the horror!!!
New Mommy said…
Yes, I guess we have plenty of horror of that sort around here. Hubby doesn't like raisins in his oatmeal cookies! [gasp!]

Dried, sweetened cranberries, though-- now those are okay.