Breakfast cake

I tried this recipe Thursday night/ Friday morning, knowing that it would be nice to have snacks for all of the travelling we were going to do this past weekend. Not only did everybody love it, it was the perfect snack for this preggie-mom who couldn't always get her meals right on time, thanks to our odd schedule this weekend! (playing violin for a wedding, travelling twelve out of twenty-seven hours)

This morning, I asked Precious what she wanted for breakfast tomorrow morning. I was expecting oatmeal or porridge, which are usually her favorites. But for tomorrow? Breakfast cake. I guess I'll be thawing out the remaining slices tonight.

"Mom is Great" Breakfast Cake (thanks to Laura's Heavenly Homemakers blog)

1 cup butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups whole rolled oats
¾ cup honey
2 eggs
1 t. sea salt
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. ground cinnamon (my addition)
1 t. vanilla
1 cup raisins, chocolate chips or other dried fruit (what I had on hand: half figs, half apricots)

Stir together butter, buttermilk, flour and oats in a glass bowl. (I found it easiest to coat everything with the melted butter, and then mix in the buttermilk.) Cover with a cloth and allow the grains to soak on your counter overnight or for at least 8 hours.

Stir in honey, eggs, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and vanilla. Fold in raisins, chocolate chips or dried fruit. Pour into a buttered 9×9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Comments