And some potty unsuccess

After about five accidents, but a few successes, I decided this afternoon that if I was going to have any relief from mopping up messes, I would have to put a diaper on that boy. Around 5:00, I finally did. What a relief! I think I'd had enough for the day; we'll probably start back over tomorrow.

On the other hand, I had great success last night in the kitchen. I'm sure Aunt Ma would not be at all impressed with this news; she was born baking pies. I baked my first cherry pie, thanks to Mark Bittman and his indispensable cookbook, How to Cook Everything. We had some nicely tart cherries from the store, just right for a pie. Yummy, though a little runny because there wasn't enough arrowroot (I had doubled the cornstarch amount, maybe triple it next time?). It tasted even better on the second night! New Daddy has loved cherry pies ever since his Mimi used to bake them in the mountains. He was very pleased.

I also made my first successful batch of raw milk kefir (KEE fur-- I had always wondered that). When it was culturing, I would smell it, and not be so sure about all of that business. But, after it thickened and became more tart, it was actually not unpleasant at all. After a call to Jennifer to figure out how to fish out the grains, I finally had a finished product. It made a wonderful strawberry smoothie for lunch! The kids kept asking for more, so I guess I should have made a double recipe, instead of one and a half. I've been on a hiatus from making yogurt lately, so maybe this will help supply the good tummy-bugs we've been needing.

Comments

Aly said…
I must admit, that in that split second while the picture loaded, I was worried that it was going to relate directly to the title!

I was most relieved when I saw that it was a very pleasant picture... it looks delicious!

Keep up the wonderful inspiration! *hugs*
New Mommy said…
HA HA!!! I'm glad you weren't disgusted by my cherry pie!
Crystal Cross said…
your pie looks soooo yummy!!
Anonymous said…
Your pie looked great!! Yumm! We missed yall sunday evening i hope you didnt get sick!
New Mommy said…
Nope, we were fine. New Daddy had a monster deadline that kept him awake until 3 AM Sunday, and 4 AM Monday. We hated to have to leave to let him work :(.
That pie looks delicious!! I am so glad you added the link to the cookbook. Monica has been telling me about it for a while, but I wasn't sure which one she was talking about, as he has several books. (I wanted to get the exact same one) So since you provided the link, I was able to see what it looks like and I was happy to find it at overstock.com for only 21.95 plus 2.95 shipping. Thanks again! Sounds like an awesome cookbook..one I will actually use... =)
New Mommy said…
I'm so glad you found it for such a great price! It was a shower gift to me, so I didn't really know. Definitely THE most used cookbook in my kitchen! I hope you love it as much as I do!
I recieved my cookbook today.. WOW...I love it already! So basic..yet sounds sooo yummyyyy! I can't wait to try some of those recipes! =) Lots of everyday info too..
New Mommy said…
Let the fun begin!