Grits that a Yankee could enjoy

(Or even someone raised in the South who still doesn't think too much of grits.)

Tonight, we had Grits As They Are Supposed To Be.

There is an incredible company involved in the organic/ locavore movement. Several months ago, I somehow found out about Anson Mills. They grow organic, heirloom grains in the South. Then, they mill them in granite gristmills. Or, they sell the whole grains wholesale. Anson Mills is based in Columbia, SC; nothing like feeling right at home, eh?

According to the website, it all began when the founder wanted to prepare recipes that his mother had eaten as a child, only to find that the ingredients in the recipes were not available. He ferreted around the South and in historic documents to find these heirloom grain varieties, and this company was born. Their products now have a huge following among the finest chefs in the country.

I found a source for Anson Mills products in my area and purchased some Carolina Gold Rice, and White Antebellum Coarse Grits. Today, after choosing grits over rice as the companion side to Paula Deen's stewed salmon (always looking for good canned salmon recipes), I dug the Anson Mills grits out of the freezer and looked up the website for the recipe.

I thought I had blown it when I gawked at the recipe too long and left the grits to come to a boil by themselves. For damage control, I tried not to scrape too much off the bottom. Luckily, my enameled cast iron saved my hide. I followed the directions and kept water at a low boil in a teapot while I cooked the grits. If they started to dry out, I stirred in some hot water. Nothing in the finished product tasted burnt.

The grits fluffed up beautifully, with almost a silken texture. I've never had non-gritty grits, but now, I have. The flavor was exceptional; cream-style corn kept coming to mind. The combination of a southern dish like stewed salmon with Real grits was a celebration. The last time I made this salmon recipe, I had used rice. The grits won out, hands down.

(Supper was over two hours ago, and I still have a bowl of it next to me while I type. Okay, so I am pregnant, and I got hungry again after putting the kids to bed. This is therapy.)

I really think that anyone who dislikes grits might not know what grits are supposed to be. I sure didn't before now.

Comments

Unknown said…
The grits and salmon sounds delicous! I never liked grits much before moving in with Janice and Roy and I tried hers. I think a lot of it comes from having grits from someone who knows how to cook them.

While in Charleston a couple of years ago, I tried Shrimp and Grits and it was out of this world. I'd love to find a good recipe for them.
Bro Trevor said…
" The flavor was exceptional; cream-style corn kept coming to mind. "

Uhm.... I guess I'll take your word for it. Me being the yankee the subject line was speaking of. *grin*

I didn't even know grits HAD flavor.