Week of the stomach virus

Precious started it all on Tuesday. We were at the tile outlet (we're redoing our kitchen/dining floor) when she let go of her Moe's lunch all over the floor. Twenty minutes later, it happened again. After that, I decided to just grab a sample and get home. Bubby started on Thursday, just after Precious got better. Then, Friday, I was immobilized from stomach pain, but I never got to give any of it up. My stomach was a knot of pain, and I couldn't eat anything.

Finally, last night, I took two Tummy Tuneups and ate a bowl of homemade yogurt-- unpasteurized, that is. We went to bed at 9:30, and I woke up this morning feeling fine. I'm still tired, and lying around is definitely the preferred activity. I can't imagine being as small as the children are and being in that much pain. It amazes me at how sweet and cuddly they've been, despite their discomfort.

Good things about a stomach virus:

  • -We all got it together. No one was bouncing off the walls while the rest of us wallowed in misery. We all wallowed together, mostly on the couch.
  • -It moves fast.
  • -Sleep, and lots of it.
  • -Cuddly, sweet, empathetic, helpful children.
  • -Having a husband who enjoys feeding Precious breakfast while Mommy vegetates on the couch.
  • -Getting rid of my five extra Christmas pounds, though painfully, is a plus.

The not-so-great thing is that it's not quite over. Bubby seems to have the worst case. He still isn't keeping food down. This is exactly the reason that I wanted to nurse him until the winter virus season was over. Mother's milk is the easiest substance for a human to digest. And that's what he's keeping down. Precious' stomach on the other end still isn't quite straightened out, but I'm sure it will be soon enough.

I'm really thankful to be feeling better so that I can take care of everybody. Ruthi told me when I was pregnant with Precious that I'd better go ahead and be sick, because Mommy isn't allowed to be sick once she has kids!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aunt K said:

Oh no! Why do these things strike in public places??? or on the road??? We were in Greenville when Brian had the stomach virus and hurled all over my friend's coffee table... and then his favorite chair...and his carpet. And you can guess what happened on the LONG ride back to Charlotte. Yuck!

Hope everyone is feeling better now!
Anonymous said…
Hope you all are better now. God Bless you and the kids :-)
New Mommy said…
Thank you for the kind thoughts! Bubby kept everything down today, except for a drop or two when Ben twirled him around, so I think we're almost there!

On the way home from the tile place, Precious was up-chucking the whole way. The Baby Bjorn little potty sure came in handy [smile]! Then, she fell asleep, and it dropped upside down on the carpet. Ahhh...