Re-opening the can o' worms

This evening, I was busily preparing a strawberry cobbler when Bubby crawled to the empty potty, grabbed it and flipped it over. Knowing it was about time for him to pee, I set the potty aright and put him on it. I went to the other side of the kitchen and continued my prep work, thinking, "Whoah, what a boy!" Meanwhile, Precious was helping me stir the cobbler on the stove. She did an excellent job; by the time she was finished, the sugar was completely dissolved into the strawberry juice.

The next potty-noise I heard was the potty flipping as he escaped. Bubby found himself in a pee puddle, trying to crawl away from his potty. What a mess! I tried to lift his legs to wipe them off, but because he was on his stomach, this only resulted in him bonking his head on the floor. He started wailing. It was also getting past his bedtime, which added to his angst. I scooped him up, ran him to the bathroom holding him away from me, hosed him off in the tub, and finally got back to the kitchen floor to clean it up.

We finally got settled down, and all was well. I have concluded that Bubby is very impressive, but I need to be less distracted, or I will pay.

Now that my nine month-old is crawling to the potty when he needs to go (!), I decided to google "Dr. Brazelton pampers" just to see how closely correlated this pediatrician was with the Pampers propaganda machine. I pulled up this Wikipedia article, which included a quote from John Rosemond, in a challenge to Dr. Brazelton's lackadaisical approach to potty training (AKA diaper untraining). I have to admit, it made me giddy with glee to read such common sense from Rosemond, who

"believes it is a 'slap to the intelligence of a human being that one would allow baby to continue soiling and wetting himself past age 2.'"

To me, the goal of potty training is to teach a child what goes where. In the case of infants, this is an intuitive process for the child, and involves very little what-where effort on the parents' part. For a 12 to 24-month toddler, there is a good bit of what-where learning, but not much stubborness to combat. For a preschooler who is completely ingrained in diaper-toileting, well, you probably already know what I think. Big people poop goes in big potties. Nuff said.

Here's my point.

If Procter and Gamble was out to help us, wouldn't they make diapers that let a child at least feel that he's wet (instead of waiting until 2T to introduce "feel the wetness" pullups)? Instead, they make these gel inserts that allow them to sit in their pee for hours and feel only mild discomfort. And then, they make up to size seven diapers that even adults can use as Depends inserts! Um, yuck. An older child who has difficulty potty training is a problem for parents and a social problem for the child, but No Problem For Pampers! They get to make even more money!

We. Have. Been. Duped.

(and disposable diapers aren't cheap)

Comments