Real milk

We did it!

This morning, we headed to a local dairy that we found through RealMilk.com. The Jerseys were beautiful and had such a sweet look in their eyes. In our state, it is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption, so we purchased the milk "for pet consumption only." It came straight from the cows, through a filter to get rid of the small amounts of grass, and into the cooler and bottling area. They also had pasture chickens, all beautiful, Rhode Island Reds. Precious had a big time chasing them around! We bought a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs.

While we were in the barn watching the calves get their bottles, Bubby slapped my arm and emphatically announced, "didi!" I took him behind a shack to let him relieve himself. He was completely dry; he went immediately, and for a long time. I was amazed at his bladder control, and that he had communicated so clearly.

We got home, where New Daddy and I ceremonially poured small glasses of milk. Then, we tasted. We were surprised to find that nothing was very unusual at all. It tasted almost exactly like the organic whole milk that we had been buying from the store. Its color was much more yellow, and we shook it up to mix the cream in. Overall, the texture was slightly thicker than pasteurized, homogenized milk.

Now, about the eggs! When we got home, I boiled eggs for everyone. The yolks were deep, bright yellow, almost orange. No anemic, pale yellow yolks here! The runny yolk that I boiled for only four minutes tasted like the farmyard; that would take some getting used-to. But, the hard boiled eggs were delicious and didn't even need salt.

A week ago, New Daddy swan that never shall raw milk touch his mouth. After today's visit to the farm, he was converted. He loves the stuff!

This looks like something we'll be "doing" from now on.

Picasa for this post

Comments

Anonymous said…
You and me both--except that in good 'ole South Carolina, we can buy certified raw milk at fruit and produce stands. (Yeah!) I'll have to go on Thursday, so I can "Taste it fresh".
Anonymous said…
You and Marie are going to get me in trouble! I was talking to her yesterday and she was telling me about the raw milk. This as I was driving out to pick up the chickens that I convinced Alex to get! (Can't wait to get outside to see if I have any eggs waiting.) Now you guys are gonna have me wanting to get a dairy cow. You just can't beat the taste of homegrown freshness.
Anonymous said…
i am a milk FREAK!!! my dear friend mylinda introduced me to fresh mennonite milk, yummy! she has even brought it to picnics to share with me in an old water bottle! haha. i am planning a trip out there soon to pick zinnias. milk will be on the list too.
jennifer
New Mommy said…
Haha! Someone was joking with me last week that our pastor has put a "chicken spirit" on everyone in the congregation by getting chickens and giving out eggs! About a fourth of the families in our church have chickens now. The eggs just taste so much better than the ones from the store!

We considered buying chickens, too; but, with all of these other resources, why bother? ;) Oh, and did I mention that our neighborhood probably has a livestock ban? I know that I'm happy to drive a little bit to get the "real stuff!"