More information on grains

My quest for good nutrition for my family has been an interesting journey. Every time I learn something new, I think I have completed the circle of knowledge by connecting certain facts and outcomes. Recently, I think the circle has become a little larger to include a new body of knowledge.

I had read different mom-bloggers' glowing reviews of Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions, but until this evening, I had never taken time to find out about the book for myself. I'm starting with her writing on grains, since that concerns my family significantly. I found this excerpt on the Weston A. Price Foundation website. Here are a few quotes.

"Bread can be the staff of life, but modern technology has turned our bread—even our whole grain bread—into a poison. Grains are laced with pesticides during the growing season and in storage; they are milled at high temperatures so that their fatty acids turn rancid. Rancidity increases when milled flours are stored for long periods of time, particularly in open bins."

Yes, this would explain why the bread in my kitchen tastes infinitely better than store-bought whole wheat bread. But then, reading on...

"The final indignity to grains is that we treat them as loners, largely ignorant of other dietary factors needed for the nutrients they provide. Fat-soluble vitamins A and D found in animal fats like butter, lard and cream help us absorb calcium, phosphorus, iron, B vitamins and the many other vitamins that grains provide. Porridge eaten with cream will do us a thousand times more good than cold breakfast cereal consumed with skim milk; sourdough whole grain bread with butter or whole cheese is a combination that contributes to optimal health."

Perhaps this explains why Precious insists on eating her bread topped with cheese. Or why my homemade banana nut bread tastes wonderful toasted with butter. I believe that taste buds and the way you feel after you eat can be very telling. And then, finally...

"Be kind to your grains. . . and your grains will deliver their promise as the staff of life. Buy only organic whole grains and soak them overnight to make porridge or casseroles; or grind them into flour with a home grinder and make your own sour dough bread and baked goods."

Fallon's book, and perhaps Dr. Price's book, will probably soon be making their way to my bookshelf. I have a lot to learn.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That makes so much sense! It makes me want to start making our bread!

The other day, my father-in-law was over helping us plant strawberries and he noticed something was starting to eat our potatoes from underneath (probably meal worms or something like that). He said we needed to look into what to do about them and said they used to use some sort of poison with arsenic in it to kill them. My first thought (though I kept my mouth shut as to avoid conflict) was "Arsenic on food?!?!?". Alex is leaning more towards growing organically in our garden (though we still have so much to learn) and for that, I am so thankful! (Also thankful for that copy of Mother Earth News I picked up that led him to start leaning that way ;-) ).
New Mommy said…
Have you heard of Gardens Alive? They sell "environmentally responsible" products that are supposed to work very well. My green-thumbed sister in-law (Monica) highly recommends their stuff! Doing some quick research, I see that they have these products for potatoes.

I hope you didn't lose anything in this last cold spell!