Adventures in porridge-soaking

And now... my latest venture à la Nourishing Traditions. No recipes, just my own whimsy.

Sunday morning, I set out the grains to soak in six cups water with buttermilk added (thinking the acid in it helps "digest" the grains and release nutrients-- a good thought!). 1/2 c millet, 1/3 c lentils, 1/4 c amaranth, 1/4 c rolled oats, 1 tsp RealSalt. Yes, Precious really eats this combination every morning for breakfast, with raw honey, steamed kale and mashed avocado added.

Monday afternoon, I went to grind the soaked grains. I dipped out two cups of the gritty gruel into the food processor. I added a little extra, because it didn't seem very full. As soon as I hit the power, the gruel spiraled up and began seeping from all of the openings that I didn't know existed. As if one spill wasn't enough, I hit the pulse button again just to make sure that everything really was leaking. Again, it really leaked even more onto the counter! Yessss!

After realizing that I had selected the wrong appliance for this task, I grabbed the blender and scraped the contents of the leaking food processor bowl into the blender jar. After dipping and blending four separate batches, I was finally ready to heat it all up and let it cook for about ten minutes.

I turned the heat on high to get things going, set the timer, and decided that this would be a *great* opportunity to get the mail with Precious. We had a lengthy visit to the mailbox that involved Precious running several laps from the walkway to the end of the driveway. When I returned to the kitchen, a peculiar smell told me that something was wrong.

I had placed the blended gruel in the large RevereWare pot that bulges out in the bottom. This means two things: 1) when it heats up, it rocks; I usually put a soup can under a handle to keep this from happening, and 2) anything in the pan that is solid will burn at the bulge. Both of these consequences were occurring when I returned to my experiment.

I tried to stir it and avoid the burnt spot, but I inevitably scraped some of the burnt part. The whole mixture smelled horrible, and knowing that I could never serve something that putrid to my child, I threw it out.

Tuesday morning, I made normal, unsoaked Super Porridge and served it to much critical acclaim. That means that Precious downed it before I could finish getting Bubby dressed. I think I'll be looking up an authentic Nourishing Traditions porridge recipe for my next attempt. I'm hoping that experiment will be a successful one.

P.S. Have I mentioned that I'll be getting a set of these in July? No more substandard RevereWare for me! Pre-order and save $50!

Comments