Unhibernation

When all of the bugs in our house go into hibernation, our brains fall asleep to the thought that those creatures might exist around our house. We think we've got it made. And then, spring comes. First, there's a Southern house spider in the bedroom ceiling corner. *squash* And then, the carpenter ants appear. "Didn't we caulk their entryway last summer," we wonder.

Then, there are the big brownish-red ants that have taken abode in our retaining wall. I have never, ever seen anything like those before. They were all over the wall, and coming in the closet under the stairs and forming a highway from my laundry room to their nest. *squash, squash, squash* Oops, there's one picking up the remains of his brother. *squash*

After a week of squashing, I was ready for some Real, kid-safe action. Yesterday, I broke out the diatomaceous earth! I gathered handfuls of it in paper towels and sprinkled it all over the outside areas of our house and across their paths in the basement. Then, I discovered that, for some reason, all of the ants had congregated on the siding between the garage door and the porch. I splatted them with great satisfaction and enjoyed watching them fall.

(While we were outside, Precious also helped me water the blueberry bushes with fish emulsion-water.)

When I went out this morning, I was pleased to see that the creatures that I targeted yesterday appear to have left. I might have won this battle, but we'll have to see about the rest of the war. At least I'm awake, out of hibernation, and fighting back.

Comments