Teething plus an earache?

This weekend, we traveled to Columbia so I could play piano for a wedding. It was a beautiful wedding, and I felt very honored to provide the music. We took several pictures of folks that we love dearly. Then, when we went to finally get a picture of the bride and groom, the battery died. Ooops. Our only pictures of the bride are of her standing at the top of the staircase to throw her bouquet. The dress is quite beautiful from the back, as you can see.

We stayed with Mimi and Poppy, and Precious spent a fun Saturday with them while we went to the wedding. The kids fared pretty well in the car-- except for Bubby, who screamed a lot. We weren't really sure what was wrong. I did a lot of the driving so that New Daddy could study for an interview. We probably would have been better off with New Daddy driving, since he spent a majority of his study time playing peek-a-boo with Bubby to distract him.

Bubby has been biting on lots of things. With the advent of his two new teeth, letting him teethe on our fingers is now out of the question. He couldn't find any satisfactory objects to gnaw on, so he just screamed. Then, Saturday evening, he suddenly discovered his left ear. I was excited about this discovery until he discovered it again on the road Sunday while he whimpered. That's when I started making a connection to where his pain might be coming from.

When we got home this evening, I taped a garlic clove in his ear while he happily played in his ExerSaucer. I took it off when I put him to bed, and he didn't seem to be in any pain. Did he have an earache? I still don't know. If he's fussy at all tomorrow, that clove is going back in his ear for a few hours! He and Precious seemed happy to be back home, even though Precious kept making excuses to stay at Mimi and Poppy's! Children are such homebodies-- not to mention their parents!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Was that Sis. Nancy's neice, Rachel's wedding? Or is that another Rachel?

Also, I'm sure you have already heard this but sometimes a toothache can mimic ear pain. If the garlic doesn't help, maybe you could try the homeopathic teething tablets Susannah uses. I'm not sure exactly what they are called but I can find out for you or give you her phone # if you need it.

Lord Bless!
New Mommy said…
It was Rachel Sharpe's wedding. I didn't know of a family connection between her and Sis. Nancy [Thomas, right?].

Sis. Sarah from my church also just emailed me saying that teething pain can feel like an earache! I guess I'm just an ignorant "new mommy"! All you mommy-pros know everything!

I do have some Hylands teething tablets, plus the gel. Both work pretty well, so I might give them a try (and ditch the garlic clove, hahaha!).
Anonymous said…
Teething tablets are wonderful!! Also, those teething toys that you can put in the freezer always worked great for us.