Knead-free bread

Aunt Ma blogged a couple of weeks ago on Mark Bittman making decent quick bread via New York Times. What I loved about this video was his nonchalant assault on wonderbread. Aunt Ma's post prompted me to actually become a NYT subscriber so that I can waste even more time on the computer. I had to see more Bittman cooking videos!

Tonight, I came across this Bittman article about bread that doesn't require kneading! My lazy self can't wait to try this out with some good ol' freshly ground hard red stuff! I'll let you know when I get around to it, and how everything turns out. This would be a great opportunity to petition for a Le Creuset pot, now, wouldn't it?

Here's the basic recipe from Jim Lahey:

3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp instant yeast (yes, you read that correctly: one-fourth teaspoon)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c water

Mix dry ingredients together with your hands. Add water, pull together to a dough and let sit covered for 12-18 hours. Shape for the second rise and let rise about 2 more hours. Toss into a preheated Pyrex or Le Creuset pot. Bake at 500 degrees for 30 minutes with the cover on, and 15 minutes with the cover off. Turn out of pan and let sit until cooled.

The quality of the bread is an artisan bread with a hard crust. Again, I can't wait to see what this does with hard red!

Random thought: Do I have to let it sit even longer, since whole wheat generally requires more kneading than white? I'll shoot for 18 hours on my first attempt.

Comments

Marie said…
Lol--

It's so funny--I've been wanting to make that recipe since it came out... but since I don't have a cloche, or any sort of dutch oven, I've been waiting.

Let me know how it turns out!
Isaac'swife said…
How did this end up turning out?
New Mommy said…
HAH! I haven't tried it! If I ever do, I'll be sure to blog about it.