Garlic still works-- sort of

Yesterday I whipped up an email for Aunt Kaye telling her all about how Precious' first ear infection was cured by garlic-infused olive oil drops. I also extolled the virtues of garlic on viruses and intestinal parasites. "And, to this point," I went on, "none of us have been sick at all this winter, thanks to..." You guessed it-- regular doses of "garlic."

Well.

We spent last night at Uncle B and Aunt Mo's (yes, I have pictures!!!). I put Cousin E and Precious to bed together. That was somewhat of a mistake. But, there was no other option, because Bubby needs the portable crib now that he's rolling around while he sleeps. I kissed the girls, told them to *sleep*, and went downstairs to do email. New Daddy was still upstairs in Cousin Z's room, lying next to him and telling him story after story after story. It was precious.

At 10:15, I went up to New Daddy to remind him that he should probably let Cousin Z get to sleep, when lo, what should mine eyes behold, but a bright light in Cousin E's room behind yon closed door? Hmmm. I opened the door, and discovered the Beauty Queen and the Beauty Princess raiding the Beauty Table. I hurried them back to bed, read them the riot act, turned out the light, and shut the door.

Bottom line: Precious didn't get to sleep until around 10:30. That's about four hours after her normal bedtime. This morning, I heard the girls whispering at 6:45. A little early, don't ya think? "Precious and Cousin E," I stated from the next bedroom, in my best mother-voice, "go back to sleep. It's too early for you to be up." Ah, yeah. Good luck with that one.

So, this morning, as I was tearing around their house trying to get everything packed up, Precious was having meltdown after meltdown. I just knew it was because she hadn't had any sleep. We got home, had baths, and Precious went down for the night at 5:00. Bubby followed at 5:45.

Enter the tornado watch. After one huge wind-blow that sounded like half of a freight train, we decided to spend the night in the basement. At 9:00, I went to get Precious and move her down. I picked her up. Her bottom was wet, and her little body was burning with a fever. I think those would be two signs of an individual who is fighting sickness.

So, to make a long story even longer, I must say, Aunt Kaye, that I am now eating my words. Garlic really does work for ear infections, I promise!

And, I also believe that garlic will help Precious get over this bug quickly, which is why I am treating her with a garlic poultice. That is, after I gave her some ibuprofen to bring the fever down. I also downed a clove, just in case. New Daddy ate his dosage on a slice of bread, so he can survive sharing a house with me.

The tornado watch has been cancelled, so I just finished moving Precious back upstairs. We're finally off to bed, too.

Comments