Beans, greens and cornbread

I have lately become fascinated by an area of domesticity that is not my forte: frugality. In particular, I have been trying to cut our grocery bill down. And, I have discovered that the traditional "beans, greens and cornbread" meal is very cheap to fix, and very satisfying to our tastebuds and stomachs. This means that this meal now graces our weekly menu.

I make the greens (either spinach or kale) one of three ways: Brazilian-style, kale and tomatoes-style, or spinach, Ruthi-style (scroll down to "Better than okra").

I let a pound of beans soak overnight. Around 5:00 the next day, I drain, rinse and sort them (throwing out weird-looking beans and things). Then, I put a them to boil in enough water to cover, plus about an inch and a half. For seasoning, I use 2 Tbsp Better than Bouillion chicken base and McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning. The beans simmer for 1.5-2 hours, and are deliciously done.

New Daddy grew up on the Jiffy mix-version of cornbread, so he likes sweet cornbread. I use Mark Bittman's "Lighter and sweeter" variation of cornbread. Freshly ground popcorn serves as my cornmeal, and soft white wheat substitutes nicely for the all-purpose flour.

1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups buttermilk or yogurt
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups medium-grind cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Rumford is aluminum-free)
1 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and melt it in the oven for 2-3 three minutes. While it melts, mix everything else...

Separate the egg yolks into the buttermilk. Beat the yolks into the buttermilk. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, but not dry.

Combine dry ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture quickly, stirring just enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Avoid over-stirring quickbreads. Gently stir in the beaten egg whites.

Pour the batter over the melted butter and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Serve hot or warm.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's talking my language!!

Beans and greens are a must around here. (Isn't it nice to have a man that doesn't have to have meat at every meal??)
Something else that is wonderful about it....You can cook twice as much and pop the other half in the freezer....you have supper for another night, all you have to do is make the cornbread.
I do this with vegetable soup also.
These two meals are my family's favorite!
Anonymous said…
Sister!

Where's the BACON GREASE in yoah cornbread?

Or am I more Southern (and less health-conscious) than you?

Lol!

(go to the greens to see my version that I just commented on... Shoulda looked up the original recipe in JOY--but it was spur-of-the-moment.)

Love you!