On bird watching

I fall quite short of the title of "bird watcher." The winged creatures in my general vicinity are lucky if I remember to refill my bird feeder with Big Lots birdseed less than a week after it empties. More than one bird feeder-- too much maintanance. But, I enjoy seeing the flow of birds on and off my deck, and I try to point them out to Precious. We keep the Audubon Society handbook next to the door so I can identify species that I haven't seen before.

I love the female cardinal who perches on my french door and pecks at her reflection-- a rival, no doubt. I can depend on seeing her at least three times a day. We can also count on seeing her male counterpart, along with wrens, chickadees, and a red-headed woodpecker fairly regularly. I used to see some indigo buntings, but I don't think they like my Big Lots food. I don't sit by the door waiting for birds, but I enjoy seeing them when they're there, and I'm there.

Today was a warmish cool day, and after we had all had our naps, Precious wanted to go outside. She ended up playing in the sandbox while squatting outside the box, and Bubby and I enjoyed the general scenery while Precious poured sand in and out of her plastic measuring cups.

We were on our way inside when I became aware of a few birds perching in the evergreen tree off the deck. Then, more flew in and perched in the oak tree right in front of the deck. Their whistle was a steady, high-pitched "eeee," and the different pitches made a surreal sound as they called to each other. As I turned upward to see them, amazed that they were not afraid of us, I became aware that they all looked alike, and that they were a flock. Their heads were the most outstanding feature to me, with a black mask around their eyes and a tufted, reddish crest.

They looked slightly exotic to me, and we moved to leave the deck so they could feed. As we started towards the door, one flew away, and then a pair, and then they all flocked away towards the woods behind the house. For me, it was an awesome moment.

I finally had time to look up the birds this evening, and I do believe I have seen my first cedar waxwings!

Comments

Marie said…
I love the feeling of discovering something God-made for the first time. Unfortunately, I'm not getting much of that right now... and I'm envying you of your naps--big time!

Love y'all. Take care!
Anonymous said…
Bird watching is fun. The kids and I enjoy watching a hawk that frequents our front yard along with a couple of wood peckers that we get to see every couple of weeks or so. In additon to those, we also have several other kinds of birds we get to watch. I like your idea of keeping a book nearby to refer to.
Anonymous said…
I do believe you have got some cedar waxwings...we have them here and once a whole flock was over at one of the big buildings in Columbia and ate the fermented berries and got "drunk" and were crashing in the windows...it even made the news...I love bird watching...we have chickadees,cardinals, doves,finches,tufted titmouse, nuthatches,and many more...awesome!
We especially love the Hummingbirds in the spring and summer. Love, Suzette
Anonymous said…
Cedar waxwings are so beautiful! I've seen them here too at my bird bath. We have been enjoying watching a squirrel build the neatest nest in a tree right beside the deck. We get to watch it out the sliding glass doors. The whole nest is completely enclosed except for a small hole where it enters and leaves the nest. This is the first time I've ever seen a squirrel build a nest. Very neat!
Anonymous said…
Maybe the Cedar Waxwings are headed our way. Last year (or was it the year before?) a flock came through and completely stripped all of the Nandina berries off the bushes around our house. Amazing birds, and beautiful. As far as I know these are the only birds that eat these berries.
Bob B said…
[Be Warned: Strange sense of humor ahead.]

Yesterday on my walk from my office building to the train station I saw something dead laying on the sidewalk ahead of me. When I got to it, I saw that it was a beautiful hawk (or a falcon or something), like the kind you might imagine perched on a hunter's arm, ready to snag a rabbit at his bidding. And it was dead. As a doornail. If it had still been alive, perhaps it would have been stunning in its magnificence. But it wasn't.

So I kept walking, thankful that it wasn't stinking yet. Ah well, such is life.

And that pretty much sums up all my bird watching. I just thought I'd share that little tidbit of an experience. :-)