Inspired: wool covers from sweaters

For several months, I have been trying to motivate myself (or my mom) to get to a thrift store to find wool sweaters. My goal is to make wool covers and pants from these discards. Tonight, while browsing the Yahoo EC group for various ideas, I came across directions for making pants and covers from sweaters. I have had directions sitting in a .doc file for some time, but as I was reading these particular directions, I suddenly became inspired.

I realized that New Daddy has a wool sweater that doesn't fit him very well! I have a merino wool cardigan that I got for $15 from the Eddie Bauer outlet! The problem with my cardigan is that it is too small for me now, and it has a few rather large holes in it. Woo Hoo! I have the pattern! I have the materials! Now, all I need is for my kids to take some really long naps.

(And, dare I mention that I, too, need to get to bed so that I can work while they nap, instead of crashing, myself??? Alas, New Daddy is still QA-ing. I think he's almost finished, though. Maybe we'll get in bed before 4:30; that was Friday morning.)

P.S. After devouring five delicious, fresh eggs from our pastor's chicken farm, we've decided that we have to have chickens! How to accomplish this in a suburban neighborhood? Hmmm.... not sure about that one. The cleaning-obsessed, retired Army guy next door would surely have a fit. He's already quite disappointed in our neighborly skills when it comes to keeping our lawn mowed. Ah, well, that's another post for another day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I saw a chicken house for people who live in urban settings.. If you look on the net a bit, you might find it. I don't know where I saw it, but someone invented this thing that allows chickens to live in neighborhoods.
Anonymous said…
Yum! Fresh eggs! I love it when Alex or I can get to the farmer's market to get some. The flavor cannot be beat. As a result, Alex and I too have decided to get chickens. One website I found that was referred to by several other sites (homesteading, blogs, etc.--completely personal opinion, not people paid to mention them) was www.murraymcmurray.com. You can order the chickens from them and the site has a lot of helpful information. You might even be able contact them about ideas about raising them in an urban setting.
Anonymous said…
aaahhh! I see that you didn't read this post: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/mootest/275748/New+Harvest+Homestead.html!! They have lots of ideas on things like that. They too started out in the suburbs.

The first thing we are going to do when we move is get some chickens! I have been wanting to every since I read the New Harvest Homestead! Then Brother Homer got his and gave us some--I couldn't beleive the difference!

By the way.....I'm listening to your CD and loving it!!! Thanks, once agian!