All in a good day's rest

Keeping my eyelids separated until 2AM is not one of my talents, especially when the next day comes. Thanks to the Queen of Carrots for reminding me that we're not supposed to do it all, God bless her (and give her a good recovery). I'm afraid I sure try! I don't see myself as competing with anyone, but perhaps just trying to beat complacence.

I am a to-do list person (or if I'm feeling particularly artsy, a c.à.f. list - choses à faire). I have to have a list, or my whole day is a digression. Sometimes that's a good thing, too. But, yesterday, one nice thing about coming home early was that I crossed off the items on today's to-do list before midnight. And, since I had very little major housework to do, I sacked out for a nap this afternoon. Not just a catnap, either.

Bubby didn't get a morning nap, so promptly at noon, he went down for his afternoon nap. Precious followed after I woke up from dozing off with Bubby in the rocking chair. After checking in on her once and reminding her to go to sleep, instead of fishing for animals over the side of her bed, she soon fell asleep. I crawled into bed at 12:36. Five minutes later, I heard Bubby. Before I could fully wake up, I ran to his room, grabbed him, and nursed us both to sleep.

There were a few restless moments, but the next time I looked at the clock, it was 4:57 PM. I hadn't even heard the phone ring. I needed the sleep.

Given this unusual napping schedule, Bubby didn't go down for an evening nap, or he would have never fallen asleep for the night. So, at 7:00, I nursed him to almost-asleep and laid him down. Apparently, almost-asleep wasn't quite good enough. After a few curtain calls and realizing that he only wanted to see me, plus being overtired, I decided that he was going to have to cry until he fell asleep. I cranked up my piano cd to muffle his wails. Around 8:15, he finally settled down. I don't think I'll be hearing from him for a while.

Sleep is good. How to get it is not always so definitive.

Comments