Chicken with Italian Sausage

This recipe is from The Slow Cooker Bible, from which I have yet to try a bad recipe. They have all been delicious so far, but this one was a knockout. Thanks to my mom for loaning me the book! This dish is on the cover of the book, if you click on the link.

Chicken with Italian Sausage

10 oz. bulk mild or hot Italian sausage (I use precooked chicken sausage without additives. I tear off the pork skin and cut it into discs. Precooked sausage lets me skip the cooking step.)
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 can (14.75 oz.) cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.75 oz.) red beans, rinsed and drained (I use spicy chili beans- yummy!)
1 cup chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Chopped fresh parsley

Brown sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to break up meat. Drain. Spoon sausage into slow cooker.

Trim fat from chicken. Place chicken, beans, broth, onion, pepper, and salt in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours.

Adjust seasonings, if desired. Slice each chicken thigh on the diagonal. Serve with sausage and beans. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

The next day, I used the leftover broth to make a savory soup for lunch. I added another drained can of Great Northern beans, cooked about 6 oz. pasta, and combined everything.

*edit* 10:36 PM
I made this for supper tonight. Since I got a late start, I put it in a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish, increased the broth to 2 cups, added an extra 1/2 tsp of salt, and baked it covered at 350 degrees for an hour and a half (stirring at an hour to make sure onions cook completely). It was fabulous, and now I have more stock to make soup with!

Comments

Hi Sharon,

Nice blog you have going here. This recipe sounds delicious, and so does that "Texas Wheat Cake". I am going to try it as soon as I get some buttermilk. I believe I have everything else.

God Bless!
Irina
New Mommy said…
Did you see where I posted your awesome pizza crust? YUM!