Lightin' a fire under my wheat grinder

That's what Aunt Mo and Melody have inadvertently been doing lately! I had been pretty happy just baking my same old bread recipe, two loaves a week. Then, Mo tells me that she's been making whole wheat pie crust, and Melody tells me that the fiber energy bars are awesome! Today, I ran my wheat grinder three times. First, to make hamburger buns out of hard white for the family camping trip next week. Second, to bake bread with hard red; and third, to make a pie crust out of soft white for a greek spinach quiche. I'm making the fiber energy bars tomorrow, along with another batch of bread for camping.

Last night, I also made french bread out of hard white for my sister Aunt R who declares that she cannot live without her [poisonous] white baguettes. I'm going to prove to her that the whole wheat version is infinitely better than the bleached flour version. I don't think it will be a tough sell. The bread was absolutely incredible from the minute it came out of the oven. I'm going to use it to make "real" french toast for the camping trip. Here's the plan: 1) freeze the bread in paper bags to get it hard. 2) Soak the bread in milk (you let it get hard so it doesn't disintegrate in the milk). 3) Coat the soaked bread with egg, and 4) Cook.

So, one week, four new baking recipes! I'm tired, but it's worth it just knowing that my family (and I) will be eating the freshly ground stuff next week.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have never thought to freeze the bread before making french toast, nor to dip it separately in the milk and egg. I usually beat my egg up with the milk (with a little bit of cinnamon and vanilla flavoring mixed in). Then dip and fry. I will definately have to try this the next time I make french toast. Thanks!

Lord Bless!
New Mommy said…
This is the recipe that Rebecca told me from French Women Never Get Fat. I'm going to sweeten the milk and egg a little, though I don't think it's authentic... ;)
New Mommy said…
The fiber bars are incredible. Oh, law, I can't tell you how good they are.

Okay, I'll stop bragging and try to email you the recipe soon. After all, it was Melody's idea ;).

I am officially not on the sprouting bandwagon. Are you thinking I should be? I'm thinking I should be, too, but I'm not sure I have the brain space yet.
New Mommy said…
Ruthi, I just realized that you have the recipe! It's the fiber energy bar variation on p.21 of the Breadbeckers' recipe book. Melody used the slightly sweet bread recipe on p.26 and increased the honey to 3/4 cup. She always substitutes 1/2-3/4 cup barley for some of the wheat when she grinds.

This batch was too big for my bread machine, so I ended up kneading by hand. The result was very wet, and very dough-y: perfect for energy bars!

My variations were instead of a whole cup of raisins, I used 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup craisins. For nuts, I used chopped pecans. And I added 2 T each of the suggested millet and sunflower seeds.