I'm a dropout

The Queen of Carrots' blog is one folks should keep up with. The past couple of days, she has been reflecting on why a college-educated woman would want to stay at home with her children. Since I fit that description, I know why. But, the Queen has such an articulate way of saying things. Check out these posts...

Dropouts
Dropouts, pt. 2

I went to music school on full scholarships, earned some more while I was there, and taught orchestra for a year and a half after I graduated. When I "retired" to pursue my true calling, my colleagues joked that my husband must have made too much for me to keep on teaching. They don't understand. God has given New Daddy a way to provide for us, but that is not why I am at home with my children. The real reason I dropped out is because this is where I belong. My call in life was fulfilled when Precious was born.

Quoting the Queen from Dropouts:

"That is what I do. I am the hub of the wheel. I am the wall on which the paintings hang. I am the station where the trains come in. I say this with all modesty, not to brag about how well I do this job, but simply to point out that it is my job, as it is the job of everyone who keeps the home."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen!

I highly commend you for giving up what you did. By doing so, you gained so much more. And you and I are also afforded the security that only a stay-at-home-mom has of knowing where their children are and who they are with and what they are doing at all times. It is hard for me to comprehend how some women would rather work and send their children to a day care center or a babysitter and miss out on so many of their childrens' firsts-smiles, laughs, words, steps, friendships, etc.

Staying at home and caring for a family is hard work but I believe our husbans work equally hard to provide for us and allow us to be able to stay at home with them. Alex has told me countless times that if he has to work two jobs to enable me to stay at home with the children, he would do so. So a lot of credit goes to our husbands who work hard to keep us in this position.

Lord Bless!