Okra & Tomatoes

Okay, I'm usually a pretty healthy cook, and I make most things from scratch. But, I'm also a southern cook, which means that I can deviate from the healthy side of things once in a while. I made this recipe tonight, and right now I feel like I could eat it every day of my life for the rest of my life, it is so good. It's easy and pretty quick, too (especially if you serve it over rice and prepare it while the rice is cooking). Try it; you'll love yourself for it. The family will, too!

Lady and Sons Okra and Tomatoes

4 slices bacon, diced into small pieces
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 T chicken base
1 T sugar
pepper to taste
2 c fresh okra, cut into 1-inch pieces (frozen is okay)

Cook bacon slightly. Sauté onion and garlic with bacon until tender. Add tomatoes, chicken base, sugar, and pepper. Adjust seasoning if needed. Meanwhile, wash okra and remove fuzz (if using fresh), and cut into pieces. Add okra and simmer until okra is done, about 20 more minutes, less if using frozen.

Comments

Marie said…
Sounds Delish. I'll have to try it sometime!

(Do you have the L$S Cookbook? --just checking :)
New Mommy said…
No, but Mimi does. I can get you one at Sam's if you want it. This recipe came from the internet, with the credit going to L&S.
Marie said…
Sharon--
I have the second, but not the first. I'd love a copy of it! (and I'll pay for it!!)

LOL--
New Mommy said…
Now, the deal is that they've combined the two. I think that's what they have at Sam's, at least. I'll check on it for you, though.