Just got back from...

...the OB. They confirmed that I am pregnant again :) :), 8 weeks and 3 days. Everything looks absolutely normal, and the midwife told me to eat everything in sight, since I am still nursing! And that's exactly what I've been doing. My ovusoft tells me my due date is August 30, and the OB tells me it's August 28. Delivery range is anywhere between August 20 and September 9.

Precious had a blast walking around the waiting room and meeting all of the other patients. They thought she was adorable!

I had considered switching to an independent midwife for a more positive birthing experience (one that I feel in control of, not the hospital "procedures"). However, we would have to pay about $1100 out of pocket for that option, and our insurance completely covers a hospital birth. Ironic, isn't it? So, my battle plan is to wait until I am in active labor, and then show up at the hospital so they don't have to induce me, which would necessitate an epidural. The epidural was nice at the time with Precious, but I felt somewhat less than human.

I believe that the female body is designed to give birth, and there is no need for intervention (I'm talking pitocin and epidurals, not emergency C-sections!). Unfortunately, my experience last time did not match this philosophy. I think I'll use the extra cash to hire a doula-- someone to help us stand up to the hospital staff, and hope to do things my way this time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats! And I know what you mean about the epidural. I had one with all 3 of my kids and with Lydia I wanted to go natural but Alex can't stand to see me in any sort of pain and he pushed me towards it.

And I do not like pitocin! B/c of the way I am shaped internally, my kids showed up small on the ultrasound and my OB had to induce all 3 b/c of some law that protects them incase there really is a problem, etc. I think the pain was a lot stronger than it would have been otherwise (maybe then I would have been able to do without the epidural). If at all you can avoid it, I highly reccomend it!

Look at the looongg comment I am leaving. Might be better off sending an e-mail later today or possibly giving you a phone call!

God Bless!
New Mommy said…
Yes, the pain with pitocin is way stronger than the body's natural contractions. When I spoke with the independent midwife, she told me that is is next to physically impossible to have a natural, pitocin birth.

You can definitely do it naturally! That's what we're designed by God to do. If you want a natural birth, though, you'll have to switch providers or have a MAJOR plan to stand up to their rhetoric and procedures.

If Alex can't stand to see you in pain, you might look into Bradley birth method, so he can be trained to help you through it. That's what I'm requesting Ben to do :).

Long comments are good! Pitocin is evil.
Anonymous said…
o wow congrats!!!
Marie said…
Congrats again!

Love you all--see you (hopefully) soon!
Anonymous said…
BTW, I am rooting for an Aug 23 birthdate for your baby (my birthday):-) But you never can tell. The Hickersons were wanting Lydia to be a Jan 7 birthday (Bro. Hick's birthday) and she was born on the 5th instead...

God Bless!
Anonymous said…
Sorry, I didn't sign my name to the last comment!

Heather
New Mommy said…
That's okay, Heather! I know who you are :). The 23rd could happen! My delivery range is Aug. 20 to Sept. 9. Renee was born 3 days before her actual due date.
New Mommy said…
oops-- do I read my own blog? I already gave my delivery range :).