Summer post II- our adventures

It's hard to believe that in less than a month, we'll be back in full swing with school and all of the busy-ness that it entails.  Last week, I had all seven moms in my Essentials class and our 23 children and grandchildren over to the house for our first meeting.  I'm always grateful for company, because it spurs me to get rid of things that were only occupying space in the house, but not being useful.  The kids got involved, too.  Purging is continuing, and I'm still donating, consigning, and trashing things, even after the guests have left.

I like to get the house organized and cleaned out during the summer so we can start the school year focused on school work, not cleaning.  It probably doesn't hurt that several of my friends have been reading Marie Kondo's book and giving it rave reviews.  During all this going-through and getting-rid-of, I decided to ask the children how they felt about taking a "big" trip for a Christmas present, instead of getting things.  So that will probably be in the planning stages this fall.

We've also visited family and taken several trips this summer.  We camped at an elevation of 3400 ft. in North Carolina while the rest of the South wallowed in a heat wave.  We visited the zoo with cousins.  And we went to Six Flags on a weekday with friends, which meant almost no crowds.  Cutie started piano lessons, and Bubby continued lessons during the summer,  Precious got a break from official lessons, but is still picking things out by ear and playing pieces she already knows.  All three will be taking lessons in the fall from our local teacher, and Bubby will be learning trumpet in a homeschool band.  On the above-mentioned camping trip, Tater learned how to balance on his balance bike a week shy of turning three.

So it's been a busy summer of milestones, friends, family, fun, and a good bit of relaxation.  We are thankful.
Our family at The Blowing Rock

My view from the tent each morning at Julian Price Campground
My parents in our "neighbors"' canoe

Tater riding his balance bike

With friends at Six Flags

Bubby and I getting ready to ride the MindBender together

Great-Grandmother R holding my precious niece

With cousins at the Riverbanks Zoo

Comments

Anonymous said…
We just got back from vacation a few days ago. We went to Pennsylvania to see my family and took our time coming back. We stayed in a motel in Blowing Rock, NC. :) When were you there? We did hiking, waterfalls, Biltmore, and drove the BlueRidge Parkway. Chris Williams
New Mommy said…
We camped off the Blue Ridge Parkway June 15-19. I'd never seen that part of NC before, and it was beautiful. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, too!
Anonymous said…
Great! We were there in July. :) Chris W.