Isn't it time for a blog name change?

The holidays are past us, and we're back in the daily hubbub of homeschooling, music lessons, housework, GAPS diet (more on that later?)... basically making sure that everyone is somewhat clean, well-fed, clothed, and educated.  Keeping the house uncluttered... well that has to wait another fifteen years.  But the finished basement has helped.

And I'm rethinking the name of my blog.  I turned 33 last summer; and while I'm sure that age will sound young to me at some point, I hardly think I'm "new" at this anymore.  I plucked eight gray strands of hair last week.  But I won't be continuing that after a few more years.  It's probably time to start enjoying the fact that aging happens; and hopefully experience joins it.  While I still like the tongue-in-cheek name of the blog, it's a little too reminding of the state that I was in eight years ago.  But I'll keep the name (too lazy to change it?), and keep smirking at my eight-years-ago-self.

Over the holidays, Cutie turned five and got a horseback riding trip for her birthday.  She's been begging for piano lessons, so I started her out in the Succeeding at the Piano method that I have adored for her older two siblings.  Just as Bubby finished flying through the Primer level, Cutie began it.  It seems like I keep starting them younger and younger.

Tater hums snippets of "Joy to the World" (our December memory hymn) while I change his diaper: "Let earth.... receive.... her King"-- only without the words.  One can only wonder at the cumulative benefits that older siblings endow their younger siblings with.  At nineteen months, his first sentence is "Don't do that," which sounds more like don-do-wat.  I think it's an apt sentence for someone who must inform his older siblings of how he should be treated.  "Don't do that!"  If he bonks his head: "Owww.  Don't do that!"  Okay, that time, he told himself not to bonk his own head.

Bubby (7) has been going through a mini-obsession with King Fu Panda and its spinoffs that are available with unlimited streaming on Amazon Prime.  He was thrilled when he got peacock wings and a mask for Christmas and has assembled a collection of animals that resemble the characters in the spinoff episodes.  When we're having a discussion that he thinks needs some diversion, he goes all Kung Fu on us.  It's hilarious.

At Cracker Barrel last night, the waitress walked up to us and remarked, "That is the most grown-up nine year-old I have ever met!"  We smiled and agreed.  And I'm sitting here wondering how a childhood can be so short?  Last week, I handed Precious a recipe for butter mints and pointed out the softened Kerrygold already sitting out on the counter.  Twenty minutes later, I was tasting it, and it was amazing.  It wasn't as well-mixed as my version had been, but it tasted better.  The following day, she brought the ingredients to CC and explained the process for her presentation, with samples to share.

So that's a snapshot of the young people in our very busy, blessed life.  We've moved from the GAPS diet intro to full GAPS, and my whole life has changed for the better since we started GAPS in November.  So I need to post on that, too.  But this is enough for now.  We'll talk again soon!

Comments