Kids' first trip to Zoo Atlanta

We have decided to try celebrating birthdays a little differently.  I had a conversation with a friend last spring.  They have four children, too, and stuff just accumulates when you have that many children.  So instead of buying toys that clutter their house, they let the honoree choose a special trip for their birthday.  Bubby is first in the round of birthdays, and of course, he wanted to visit the zoo.  Even better was that with our AZA reciprocal membership, we got a significant discount on the ticket prices.

The day before Bubby's birthday, I had lifted a fifty-pound feed bag without any previous exercise.  The angle was wrong, and I pulled a muscle in my lower back.  That night, I slept poorly because of the odd position and the pain.  So the next day, I was stiff and tired.  But New Daddy bravely strapped Tater into the rather unmanly Moby wrap, and we went.  Walking wasn't nearly as hard on my back as sitting, so we were mostly okay.  But everything fell on New Daddy; I couldn't even lift Tater, much less take care of the other kids.

After we returned home that night, the presence of the Lord came over me, and I started thanking Him for healing me, even though I was in a lot of pain.  I woke up Saturday morning feeling significantly better.  Within two more days I was back to normal.  As I type this, it has been at least four days since I've felt any pain or stiffness.

The kids loved the zoo.  I think the highlight of my day was watching Precious conquer the climbing wall and ring the bell at the top.  New Daddy loved the sassy meercats, and Bubby enjoyed expanding his vocabulary on so many new varieties of animals.  They were all interested to learn from the spokesperson at a show that you have to actually eat armadillo meat to get leprosy.  Touching an armadillo is apparently harmless.

And then we crammed in a trip to the Dekalb Market to get organic oranges for an orange cake for Bubby.  That was really a bit too much for everyone after a trip to the zoo, but we survived.  I just can't zest a non-organic orange with a good conscience, and that store was the only place you'd find an organic orange at a decent price in August.  I made the cake on the following day, and it tasted fabulous after Bubby's ribeye dinner.

Zoo pictures!


Comments