Yesterday's ten minutes of crazy

Our water line that goes to the meter has sprung a leak, and there's a muddy spot in the front yard.  No big surprise, given that the pipes are that nasty gray polybutylene stuff.  The interior of the house, thanks to New Daddy, has very little of that left.

We've had several plumbers out to give us estimates on running a new line from the street to the house.  Only a lot of it runs under the concrete walkway and the garage.  Yes, that involves a lot of busting stuff up.  But it's also possible to run it through the unfinished basement.  You guess it; that's the option that we're leaning towards.

Anyway.  We had plumbers out yesterday.

I opened the garage and walked to the front yard with them.  Rosie greeted us, barking at the fence.  Whaaaat?  She had somehow gotten off her tie-out cable.  Maybe I didn't connect it securely to her collar that morning?  Who knows.  We went inside to look at the basement.  While we were in there, I heard Mr. Tableson fussing at Rosie, which meant that Rosie was messing with his hen, Honey.

I left the plumbers and went to correct Rosie.  I grabbed the key and exited through the back garage door.  Rosie ran up to the deck, where I put her in an Alpha roll and had Precious shove Honey in her face while we yelled, "NO!"  Rosie was repentant.

Then, I followed Rosie back down the steps, where she discovered the open back door... and then the open garage door... and then... (my brain was moving in slow motion) she ran across the street.  Precious tried to follow me across the street.  I turned around and yelled, "Stay!" (like I was ordering Rosie or something; only Precious obeyed me)  When I turned around to yell at Precious,  I fell on the grassy embankment, barefoot, in front of the plumbers.

Thankfully, Rosie cornered herself at two neighbors' fences, and I was able to get her back home.  And thankfully, Tater was asleep the whole time this all happened.

Does she look like a dog that would cause this much trouble?
Rosie- 15 months

At this point, the plumbers had been waiting on me for about ten minutes.  When we returned, Rosie greeted them enthusiastically.  When I got back after putting her outside and locking the back door to the garage, they handed me a business card and told me they would call later with the estimate, or we could call them.

I bet they had a great time telling my story at home that night!  "Man, that stupid dog didn't know what 'come' meant for the world, hahahaha!  What was that woman thinking, opening that back door? hahahaha!  Then she fell on the hill, barefoot in a dress, hahahaha!"

I have no pride.

(Oh, and the fences where I cornered her were in a lightly wooded area.  I came home with the tiniest, well-embedded, painful splinter inside the arch of my right foot.  House slippers are the only shoes I can wear right now.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Rofl. Maybe I don't miss farming too much after all. LOL.

Heather
Abby said…
ohhh....I'm so sorry you had such a hard day! But so glad the baby slept through it all! Some days are just like that! I have them on occasion where it seems like whatever can go wrong does! Maybe those are days I just need a little extra help at being humble :)

Hugs!
Abby