My ADHD journey I

By the time I started kindergarten, it became apparent that I was special. One of those kids who talks constantly, is plenty intelligent, but just doesn't know when to stop sharing. A child who played her older sister's piano pieces just to get a rise out of Sister. A fun-loving, free-spirited floating-on-the-ceiling, joyous, and-- yes, a bit of an annoying personage. That's me.

I was not the ideal candidate for sit-down, traditional school. But, I made it through successfully, and I am encouraged that most children like myself can, too. Along the way, though, I've realized what it took to help me overcome the less desirable qualities of ADHD, which leaves a person who is still curious about way too many things, but who has the focus to be successful at a variety of things.

When I was six, in first grade, my mama took me off all refined sugar, artificial dyes, and white flour. I ate whole-grain bread and lots of peanut butter and chicken. God bless her for changing my diet instead of drugging me. This helped control the "H" in ADHD: the hyperactivity. But I was still an intermittent space cadet, and remained so throughout my high school years.

On some days, focus came easily. On other days, I could force myself to focus. Then, there were days that no matter how much I cared to focus, my brain was still mush and refused to work beyond daydreams. I found myself staring at a "spot" that could be another human's face; but I would be unable to leave that "spot."

In my later high school years, I went to the "local expert" pediatrician on ADHD, and I was prescribed some stimulants like Ritalin and Adderall. They helped my focus tremendously, and I was probably able to finish high school more successfully than I would have without them. I earned music and academic scholarships and was on my way to college.

Towards the end of college, I met New Daddy. After taking one of my Adderall pills and experiencing things that he never wanted to again, he told me that I had to stop taking them. Several months before we got married, I took my last dose, dividing the pills in half, and then fourths, to buffer the abrupt drop that happens when a drug is removed from a body.

I did my student teaching and a brief teaching stint with no medication and no knowledge of dietary changes. I had moments where I had to force myself to focus, but very few moments where I was at a complete loss. I enjoyed the challenge of teaching; it kept me on my toes.

When I became pregnant with Precious, I had quit teaching, and had also started taking a fish oil supplement to help the "intelligence of the baby." Research on Omega-3 fatty acids was starting to become mainstream. I continued taking these supplements throughout nursing and my pregnancy with Bubby. I had started grinding wheat and making fresh bread when Precious was an infant, and this continued with him. I made homemade baby food for both of them and gradually cleaned up our diet. We went from hamburger or tuna helper at least one night a week while I was teaching... to most things from scratch and freshly ground whole wheat bread.

We were making progress, and I have been able to be a successful mama to my children, musician when I need to be, and a loving wife.

To be continued...

Part 2
Part 3

Comments