A little about cayenne

Red pepper, or cayenne pepper (or capsicum) is not just a spicy additive to sauces. It is incredibly rich in Vitamin C, and is a powerful circulation stimulant and pain reliever. Most of us think of it as a mouth-numbing agent, but in a medical situation, it works miracles by relieving pain and bringing blood flow to the area to speed healing.

Almost two years ago, New Daddy was helping our friends remove the nasty siding from our house. He got hit in the eyebrow with a board, and there was plenty of blood. Instead of bee-lining to the emergency room, I recalled the information I had just read about an herbalist who used cayenne pepper to heal a personal chainsaw wound. He never needed stitches. With this in mind, I mixed water and 90,000 HU cayenne pepper powder to make a paste and applied it to New Daddy's eyebrow. Then, I washed my hands thoroughly.

The next day, his eyebrow skin was healing over. Within two weeks, there was no scar, and the area was completely healed.

A little while ago, a child was climbing at our house and scraped his knee on a screw sticking out of the playhouse. I hadn't realized that screws were sticking out, or I would have never let the kids climb on the house. Later, I unscrewed all of the screws that were sticking out, but the child still had blood dripping down his leg. I knew his shots were current, so I didn't consider the emergency room. Instead, I brought out the cayenne, made a paste, and applied it to his knee. The next morning, a scab was forming, and the bleeding had completely stopped. It was healing up.

And then today's event. This week, Precious bought a wooden pointer with her allowance money. Why I didn't put it away immediately, I don't know. But this morning, Cutie whacked Bubby on the back of the head with it. The kids came screaming down the hall with Bubby's head pouring blood. After applying pressure to stop the bleeding, cleaning him up, making sure that it was only broken skin, nothing worse, I applied cayenne pepper paste to his scalp. About five minutes after that, he told me that he didn't hurt anymore and has played normally all day. There has been no more bleeding, and I expect when I rinse him off tomorrow morning, there will be little more than a few small marks.

Many people take cayenne in capsules for circulation problems. It is also useful in salves for arthritis. But I wanted to share how we've used cayenne powder topically for first aid.

I buy my 90k HU cayenne powder from the Bulk Herb Store, where you can also read excerpts from various books about its usefulness. You can also get the [even hotter!] 135k HU powder from BHS.

What works for you with cayenne?

Disclaimer: We go to the doctor when we need to. But when there's a situation that can be handled at home, we handle it at home. You do what works for your family, and we'll do what works for ours. This is written for information, not medical advice.

Comments