The Week of Many Events

This has been quite an exceptional week for events that seemed destined to test my patience.

Monday
While I was glued to C-SPAN2, calling my senators, and trying to figure out how S. 510 could be defeated... Bubby came running down the hall, screaming in terrified sobs, "Mama! There's water everywhere!" I ran to the bathroom and beheld water raining from the toilet.

I ran two strides to get a bucket before I realized that what I needed to do first was turn off the supply line. I ran straight out of my shoes; when I went back to the toilet, my socks got soaked. Then, I grabbed all of the towels that were dry, but needing to be washed, and threw them into the pond that was formerly the bathroom floor.

Then, I took off my soaked socks and finished cleaning up the mess. Lastly, I needed to find out if the toilet was actually broken, or if it had just clogged the worst clog of the decade.

I couldn't get a straight answer about what happened until I promised Bubby that I wasn't going to spank him. Finally, I ascertained that Precious had "gone" first. When it was Bubby's turn, he tried to flush it, but that didn't work. So he tried again and again. The stopper got stuck, and the toilet continued to run. And the clog prevented it from draining. Thus, the water flowed to the unfinished bathroom downstairs, lending a decidedly mildew-y smell to the nether regions.

It was the clog of the decade. At least I hope nothing else like this happens in the next ten years.

Tuesday
Tuesday was a rather uneventful day, a pleasant break from the previous day. The weather was a little rough towards the afternoon, but we were all fine. The Senate did pass S. 510, much to all of the local foodies' and small farmers' dismay. The FDA stands poised to outlaw raw milk and to limit access to local food as much as they possibly can. Everyone knows this was about monopolization, not food safety, yes? Thankfully, it looks like the Senate goofed, big-time, on tax provisions. This mistake could allow the bill to fizzle out in the Senate.

Wednesday
Wednesday morning, I discovered that the bad weather had messed up the chickens' tarp. I was out before breakfast tying it down when Precious called out the back door, "Can we get a bath?"

"Sure," I replied, intending to give them a bath anyway.

Ten minutes later, Bubby appears on the deck. "Mama! The towels are in the bathtub!"

Yes, yes, I'll get to it in a minute.

Went inside, was shocked to find the towels, in the wicker basket, submerged in the tub. I had the girls dry off via evaporation (with the heater running), since towels were no longer available. I could not lift the laundry basket of wet towels, so I drug it to the washing machine.

Wednesday, part II
Precious has decided that she can mother Cutie in every way, especially when she ought to be doing math. And especially when Cutie has a poopy diaper. Yes, I realize that she was at one time finished with her potty training, but lately she seems to be resisting the idea of telling me when something is about to occur.

And so Precious welcomed Cutie's poopy diaper as a distraction from school and chose to take care of everything by herself. This resulted in a huge mess, a change of clothes, and a quite-put-out New Mommy. I informed Precious that in the future, I expect her to tell me when something like this happens, not to handle it herself.

Thursday
On Thursday, someone peed in the IKEA swivel chair. ("With the hood pulled down the chair is a secret hiding place for a child." This includes the child who wants to test its effectiveness as a clandestine, living room toilet.) It went through to the carpet. Pet enzymes, anyone? The responsible party will be hosing off the chair outside in 50-degree weather.

Friday
Precious lost her second tooth, and we had the kids' Fall pictures taken. We'll post some pictures of the adventurous angels soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
catching up on your blog. the tub/towel story.. do we live in the same house? i can see me outside doing someting and "yes yes, have a bath" (they always want baths) and of course this would have happened. ;) ain't life grand?