The perfect afternoon

I don't guess I need to remind anyone that New Daddy and I went on our first outing together (date?) at Table Rock State Park. It was mid-November, 2001. We ate lunch: sandwiches and my mom's chocolate chip cookies- on the top of the outcropping that resembles a giant's table. The scenery was gorgeous, the conversation amazing, a little nervous. The weather was absolutely perfect- neither cold nor warm. Just perfect.

Sunday, we returned with the kids to the park. They can't hike to the top yet, so we went for the shortened version. Once again, God treated us to a beautiful afternoon. The temperature was perfect, and the leaves were at their peak of color. I mostly noticed the nearly-magenta reds; New Daddy enjoyed the luminescent yellows. And in all my thirty years of autumns, I never saw the overturned, fallen leaves creating lavender-colored sprays on the ground.

The other thing that amazed me is how much our children enjoy hiking and being in nature, just like us. Bubby was excited about "going hiking for foxes." Precious was our champion trail-runner and dog-petter, and Cutie relished the challenge of every rock and log that she overcame. Each child, his own interests and challenges-- all satisfied by being in the woods for an hour.

A perfect afternoon, it was.

Comments