I'm frying up three bantam eggs this morning. Honey, the pullet who did not become a cockerel, laid her first egg yesterday. I found it on the ground, poor baby. I put both of yesterday's eggs up in the roost to give her a hint. But these Silkies are so small, they don't even weigh enough to crack an egg, even if they did step on it. I've decided that my favorite hen is Mrs. Rumphius, our partridge Silkie. She stands perfectly still, lets me pick her up, and enjoys being petted. Plus that, her coloring is gorgeous.

The Buff Orpingtons, on the other hand, are quite the huge, bold, but sweet creatures around the yard. The three older ones are big enough to free range themselves, now. And yesterday, I happened to glance outside and find them on the deck. The other day, it was dark, and I hadn't put them up in their tractor. And where did they roost? On the edge of the trampoline, tails hanging off. There's always a good chuckle wherever the chickens are.

It's been a quiet week around the house. Last weekend, Poppy came and fixed my dishwasher to make it stay in the wall. He also moved the cabinet trim over to make the door close more easily. Ah, the small things that make a huge difference. And then, he and Mimi took Precious and Bubby back home with them for a fun-filled week of swimming, sliding, jumping, etc. Mimi and Poppy's is a great place to be. The highlight of Cutie's days has been getting to talk to her siblings on the phone. She is going to be ecstatic when she sees her brother and sister again.

New Daddy took us out for dinner last night, and I hate that I could barely taste it. This has been quite the Spring for colds and weird viruses. My head was about to split open yesterday, but ibuprofen saved the day from being a complete waste. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm grateful that I had time to rest, grateful that the medicine put a dent in whatever was bothering me.

And... we're off to see the chickens. Cutie has been begging to see them all morning.

Comments