Assimilating, assimilating

I'm finally feeling like myself again, enjoying being able to taste food and cook it again. Tonight, I served three acorn squashes from our garden like mashed potatoes to go with our pot roast. I love only having to go to the grocery store for stuff like lemon juice and toilet paper. Veggies? On the house.

Our larger Buff Orpingtons have finally figured out that the little ones aren't going to leave, no matter how much they peck them. I think they're finally starting to assimilate. Last night, it was raining too hard for me to set up the cage inside the tractor. I left them all in there together and hoped for the best. This morning, everything was fine. During the day, the babies stay in the tractor and the teenagers roam the yard. They're all on the same, soy-free broiler feed now, so that makes things easier to manage, too.

It's been challenging to assimilate the kids back to "how things work at home" versus "how things worked away from home." Bubby, especially has had a rough few days of retraining. We're slowly getting there. Cutie has decided that she really does like having Precious and Bubby home, despite a lot of screaming at them during everyone's first day together.

Right now, I'm listening to New Daddy play guitar. We're playing a violin-guitar set for a wedding reception in August, and we're in practice mode. I need to go join him, so I'll sign off for now.

Comments