A little hymn history

I was listening to a message a couple of weeks ago when I heard Brother Branham quote a song that I'd never heard before:

"Only wait. Again I hear that whisper. Only wait. It won't be very long. Even now the Father's hand is pleading. Soon with Jesus we will sing the victory song."
The Hour is Come 51-0415E

I got curious and did a quick Google search. This lead me to the website, Hymnary.org, which said that the hymn could be found in Hymns of the Christian Life, published in 1978. I found a used copy on Amazon for $1.36 and ordered it. It arrived this weekend, and I've spent most of the afternoon poring over hymns that I had seen printed in the Only Believe songbook, but never known how they went. As it turns out, this hymnal is the perfect cross-reference.

For example, Sister Wheeler, the pianist talks about Brother Branham singing a non-trinity version of "Holy, holy, holy" that no one knew at the time. The title of the song is "Day is Dying in the West," and the chorus is what Brother Branham sang. The whole song is beautifully worshipful, speaking of God in nature and Isaiah 6:3. The composer section references "Chautauqua," which makes me think of the Chautauqua Conventions that Brother Branham attended.

The verses to the first song, "Only Wait," are equally inspired, especially the third verse. It amazes me to think that a writer could have been so inspired to write something that so aptly describes God's promises:

When the promise seems to linger, long delaying,
And I tremble, lest perhaps it comes too late,
Still I hear that sweet-voiced angel ever saying,
"Though it tarry, it is coming; only wait."

Refrain:
Only wait! Again I hear that whisper,
Only wait! 'Twill not be very long;
Even now the Father's hand in leading;
Soon with Jesus, we will sing the victor's song.


I love the hymns that Brother Branham sang. The richness of their poetry captures me time after time. But, Brother Branham's connection to the composer, Albert B. Simpson, is also interesting.

Brother Simpson was the founder of The Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA). After his passing, the C&MA was headed up by Brother Branham's close friend, Paul Rader. (Brother Rader wrote Brother Branham's theme song, "Only Believe.") In Brother Simpson's Wikipedia biography, I read that the main point that he differed with the Pentecostals on was the initial evidence of the Holy Ghost.

I can't wait to see what else I can find out from this hymnal.

Comments

Marie said…
Beautiful--I'm glad you wrote this up! I'll tell you if I run across any other songs in the Message I've never heard before. Love you! :)
Isaac'swife said…
thank you for this, I am listening to this sermon right now. :D its perfect for what is going on in my life right now.
New Mommy said…
yw! I love it when that happens.