Figuring things out

(Can you tell New Daddy was out of town this week? Two lengthy blog posts!)

I got trampoline burn on my knee, and the Miracle Salve wasn't in its usual location. I went to Precious, the go-to person when something is lost. Alas, it was in her purse, along with all of her other, useful worldly possessions. But! The purse is in the car! A Trip to The Car begins. I handed her the keys, and Bubby tagged along. I ran to their room to watch the story unfold in my driveway.

Precious unlocked the door and quickly found her purse and the salve. Yessss! Then, she pulled the handle so that the automatic door would shut. Nothing happened. Rats. But, Precious remembered that the door wouldn't start to shut until it was up against the black bumper at the back-bottom of the opening. It was 3/4 of an inch away from this bumper. This door gets stuck there a lot.

Precious tried to shove the door. It didn't budge. Then, I held my breath to see how she would enlist Bubby's help. "Bubby, would you help me?" she politely asked. I sighed admiration. My daughter remembered her manners and didn't boss her brother! She knew she really needed him! It was a shining moment for me. Together, they shoved the door. Nothing happened.

At this stalemate, I realized that my help was needed. I ran out (something I was trying to avoid in the first place), planted myself in the doorway of the van, and showed Precious how to push the door against the bumper with her feet. She did this with ease, pulled the handle, and the door shut.

Then, she locked the car back. This is when things started to get fun.

After the door was locked, she pulled the handle. As the door refused to open with a triple-beep, she made a silly, confused face, calculated to amuse everyone. She repeated this three times, to Bubby's and Cutie's great delight.

"Okay, okay, it's time to go in," I urged.

But, we couldn't go in before Bubby tried the locked door, himself. He imitated Precious in his own Bubby-way, wagging his body around, and trying to look just as silly and confused. Which made him look like a hilarious little Bubby.

Ah, the fun of figuring things out for yourself... and just being a kid.

Comments