Mother's day eve

I was musing with Precious today that this mother's day is one of fours.  Cutie is four months old, and Precious is four years old, which makes this my fourth mother's day.  Today was sort of my mother's day, since we'll be spending tomorrow with my mother and family.  New Daddy took the kids to the store, where they picked out flowers, a balloon (which they kept trying to hide for their own purposes at home), and chocolate.  Then, we had a great dinner at Bonefish Grill.  With our beautiful children whom we can actually take to dinner at Bonefish Grill without any catastrophes or emotional breakdowns.

While everybody else was at the store this morning, I visited the local farmers market.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover some great gardeners and really nice folks.  I used to be the kind of person who lurked around farmers markets, avoiding eye contact.  Instead, I would eye the produce, hoping to spot something that I could figure out how to prepare.  Well, after a few seasons as a CSA subscriber, I've realized a completely different approach to a farmers market.

Here it is.

1) Buy the produce.  2) Pull out How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman, or look up a recipe on the internet.  3) Watch my family enjoy a new recipe from amazing, local produce.  One thing I've discovered is that few fresh vegetables taste bad prepared with a lot of good butter, salt and pepper.  The flavor of truly fresh produce is in a class of its own, and doesn't need a lot of fuss to be palatable.  And, thanks to all this (or perhaps all of the spicy food and fish oil that I consume while nursing), my kids have no idea what it means to be picky eaters.

I had become good friends with a lady from the farmers market at the old house, and I've been missing her and our visits to her farm.  Well, guess what, at this market, behold, another homeschooling mom selling her freshly-ground wheat bread and farm eggs.  I'll have someone else to chat it up with.  New Daddy asked me why I didn't buy any bread from her.  "I was too busy talking," I replied.  He then hopped in the car and bought some cinnamon rolls from her before the market ended.

Which brings me to the other reason why I think I am starting to fall in love with this area.  Everything is so local.  I can make it to the grocery store and back in less than an hour.  We are so much closer to everything, and everything is so much closer to everything else.  This is a very "local" place.  And I very much like it.

The only thing I don't really like about the new place is the Place.  Meaning the house, that is.  It still lingers cigarette smoke from the old owners, especially when I first walk in the door.  The carpet is really gross-- even after several thorough steam cleanings by my mom, and I can't just lay Cutie down on it.  I also don't have the initiative to care for three small children and get the bedroom primed so that I can try out paint colors.  Right now, all of the furniture in our bedroom is piled in the center of the room, so the walls can be free.  It's kind of-- bleh.  And we're tired of it having been this way for three weeks.

So, that's the end of my whining.  I truly am thankful for so much, it doesn't even really make sense to complain about little things.  Mostly, on this mother's day eve, I'm given the opportunity to reflect on how blessed I am to have three beautiful, healthy, vibrant children.  And pray that I'll be the mother they deserve.

Comments

Lisa Christian said…
Was looking at old emails and realized you had sent me your blog link. Love reading your posts! Todd and I recently joined our local CSA and we are really enjoying it. I'm learning what is in season, etc. I'll be checking your blog for "healthy" ideas! Blessings, Lisa Christian