Reflections on Cutie's birth

Cutie's concise birth plan, if you could call it that, came from several sources. Lately, I had been reading about bacterial colonization on a sterile newborn, and how it was best for that colonization to happen via the mother, instead of another source. I didn't understand it completely, but I was sure that I wanted to hold and nurse Cutie right away, instead of helplessly watching her scream under the warming lights, as I had Precious and Bubby. I had pondered what was more traumatic: giving birth, or having to listen to your newborn cry and be unable to do anything about it after just having given birth.

As I held my daughter against my chest, she looked around calmly, realizing that mommy was "home base." This was where she belonged. I don't think I can accurately described the feeling between us. It was a oneness. Since her birth, Cutie has never been difficult to calm down. Just a reassuring rub, or just to smell me has been all she's needed. I think this goes back to how she began life: snuggled with her skin against her mother's skin.

The amazing thing about Dr. and Mrs. Sears' The Birth Book is that several months ago, I had loaned it to a friend who was due a few weeks before I was. I hadn't gotten it back from her, but the information that I had absorbed from reading it in preparation for Bubby's birth stuck with me.

One of their points was, "Ladies, hang onto your bag of waters." When the idea was suggested that we could speed things up by breaking my membranes, I heard Martha Sears' calm, but purposeful voice reciting this mantra in my head. I kept my water intact, and most likely kept my labor at a manageable pace. Even my transition contractions didn't seem as out of control as they had with Bubby. They were more like a mild escalation-- in timing, not intensity. My water broke when it was ready.

The evening following the birth, I was waiting at the nurses' station for our nurse to finish Cutie's PKU labwork so we could go home. The nurse who had performed Cutie's newborn procedures happened to be sitting at the desk. I was wondering if she remembered who I was. "Girl," she remarked, "we stayed around for about an hour talking about your birth!" Hearing this brought home the reality that people who work in a hospital see very few completely natural births.

I also think the immediate nursing, and its obvious benefits for Cutie, really impressed them. While this nurse was weighing, measuring, and poking Cutie, she commented several times on Cutie's calmness. Her Apgar was a 9. She was so relaxed, it was hard to get her to grimace.

I was so thankful that the hospital folks were willing to work with me for the results I wanted. They, in return, were inspired by our experience. During the PKU, the newborn nurse also told me that my labor nurse, who hadn't started a family yet, went to her husband the next day and told him that she had just written her birth plan for their first child. She was going to borrow a few ideas...

(Yes, there are more photos on my Picasa!)

Comments

Isaac'swife said…
I love hearing your stories....i think i would be too shy to do what you do.
What other places do you get your information from.
New Mommy said…
Mothering.com has a lot of good natural birthing ideas, and you can glean a lot from their forums. Other than that, The Birth Book has been my main resource. Believe me, after reading this book, you'll have no problem with advocating the safest birthing experience for yourself and your baby!
Anonymous said…
How wonderful! Natural birth is so beautiful. Unfortunately, most people don't get to or don't even know how to experience it. I was blessed to have most of the things the way I wanted them with my first two being in hospitals - better each time.... BUT there are no words to describe the blessing as it was for the third time - at HOME :)
When I had my first, we lived in MO, and none of the nurses had ever seen a natural birth. They were actually nervous, ha! The thought of it being a natural process and the best way to deal with it is naturally never even occurres to most. When it was time to push, they held me back for nearly an hour (long story), which caused much stress on the baby.... so I didn't get him right away, as we had in our birth plan. It was sad, but things like that happen. He didn't breath for nearly 4 minutes - scary. And just to think, it could have been prevented. Oh and, I've always had in my birth plan NOT to break the water. It's much better for it to happen naturally, despite what they think. All in all, the birth was a wonderful experience, especially considering the hospital circumstance. I made it through 38 1/2 hours of labor naturally, with most of what I had in my birth plan.
When I had my second, we lived in NM - things are already done more naturally here. I got my baby immediately - skin to skin - for a few minutes before they took her just long enough to wrap her up... then again later, to do their stuff with her (don't like that part, but has to be done in the hospital). The second birth was probably as close to a home birth as possible, in a hospital.
The third (most recent) time I gave birth, I finally convinced my hubby to have a home birth. For me, this is PERFECT... and the only way we'll ever do it from now on. I could go into a lot of details, but it would take too long. Anyway, it was amazing. There were no nurses and docs, no one we didn't know - just my hubby and me... my mom was here as coach when we needed her, and my midwife with whom we became close friends with (and her assistant) - a very comfortable and intimate time. As soon as the baby was born, I grabbed him and held him against me. We stayed skin to skin for almost an hour, nursing him and bonding like I can't even explain. It's precious beyond words. My midwife wrapped a towel around us, but not separating us. She did everything she needed too, such as suctioning, without bothering us at all. Just a few minutes after the birth, everyone left my hubby and me in the room with our new baby. It was such a sweet time. About an hour later, I handed the baby to his proud daddy while I showered, and after that, our midwives sat on the bed with us and did everything with the baby RIGHT beside me, or while I was holding him - the weighing and recording everything, all the newborn stuff. I was never more than a few inches away from my baby, except when I took a shower (and then he was with my hubby). It was so awesome! I LOVED every minute of it and look forward to doing it again and again :) THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!!!
New Mommy said…
I loved hearing about your home birthing experience! We had always thought it would just be easier to stay put here :D.
Anonymous said…
also a must read is henci goers "the thinking woman's guide to a better birth" and "ina may's guide to childbirth" by our wonderful pioneer midwife, ina may gaskin. andi agree, mothering mag and dr sears books are invaluable! the la leche magazines are good too.

sharon, these are the kind of reminders we all need to consider, esp me as i near the end of my pgcy. i always tell ppl that God designed your body to do what it does, and He really does give you a break in between contractions to rest, reflect and get ready for the next one. you have me psyched again about natural birth. i was starting to feel like whatever just get an epidural this time. i have gotten softer and feeling not as empowered after 4 natural births. it seems daunting. but i know i would regret it if i didn't do it my way. :) thanks for the encouragement.
jennifer