Precious tells all

Saturday, we went out on our most favorite lake in the world: Lake Tugalo. The worst thing about this trip is that we forgot our camera. The cloud cover not only made for perfect weather, it would have given us the perfect lighting for some great shots. Everything else was better than we could have imagined.

We ignored the "No Trespassing" signs, assuming they were for the hydroelectric plant, but not for the lake, yes? After hiking half a mile up the mountain with New Daddy pulling the Hobie on its dolly, we finally limboed under the final gate and descended the aging boat ramp to the lake. On the hike up, it was especially fun to tell Precious the story about the time several years ago, when New Daddy and I were walking back from the ramp in the dark and heard crashing noises in the woods above us.

The Hobie, with its marvelous foot pedals, amazingly has enough room for both of us and two small children. Still, it provided New Daddy's legs with a workout unlike any they've had in the recent past. I generally kept the kids up front while New Daddy did most of the work. But, I would pitch in from time to time. Especially when he was caught up in his fishing, and we would be headed straight for the trees. At those times, my paddling skills came in quite handy, as it is nearly impossible to cast a fly rod and paddle backwards at the same time.

We saw a total of five other boats on the lake, none at the same time. No motors over 25 horsepower are allowed on the small lake, so it's very kayak-friendly. We paddled up to the Tallulah River side and floated away from the rapids. On our trip out, we passed a couple of fishermen. The one in the back yelled out, "Hey, you've got the easy job! He's doing all the work while you just sit there!" With two children in my lap, I thought.

I just couldn't let this go. "I've helped out a little!" I replied with a grin.

A moment too late for the man to hear, the final say came from Precious, "Yeah, but she hasn't done much!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is too funny! It sounds like ya'll had a good time at the lake! When the twins get a bit older maybe we can enjoy family outings like that again. I'm looking forward to it.
Bro Trevor said…
I still must see this paradise lake I keep hearing about.

Is October too cold?? I'm thinking about October being out that way.
New Mommy said…
We were there last October, and the weather was perfect! Though, I wouldn't recommend a sit on top kayak in October; you're kind of sitting in water. We'll probably have a canoe by then, in ancipation for the new little 'un.

New Daddy would love another excuse to get out on that lake again. Come on down!