Getting things done

Mimi and Poppy have been here this week, doing some much-needed home improvements for us. Poppy put in the quarter round that had been out from replacing the tile. Now that this project is finally complete, I have my ice maker back, instead of a bucket that I had to empty every other day from behind the refrigerator that was sitting in the middle of the kitchen. Now, we just need for Poppy's knees to heal completely...

Poppy also installed the umbrella clothesline that I had bought myself received for my birthday six months ago. Early this evening, I plopped the wet diapers in a laundry basket and headed outside. I was feeling all fifties-housewife-ish, snapping my cloth diapers onto those lines. Then, I realized that the little bit of sunlight that was left was shining on the top lines. I unsnapped and resnapped diapers, moving them to catch the last light of the day.

After I completed a row of about nine diapers, I looked up and realized that the line was at my nose. This didn't seem right, since I had just been reaching up really high. It was then that I realized that the post was leaning into the breeze. I inspected the base and saw the form of a cinder block moving in the dirt. I felt the concrete and realized that it wasn't set, but it was quite dry-- and powdery. We must have given Poppy some really, really old QuikCrete, because this stuff just is not doing the job. New Daddy says he can fix it for me. For now, I'll just keep on taking my clothes outside-- and make sure everything is balanced.

Ah yes- and I only dropped one pristine diaper in the freshly-dug Georgia clay!

Comments

Isaac's Wife said…
I love sun dried clothes, its not warm enough up here for that yet.

Where did you get your nappies (diapers) from? My sis in law is expecting June, so I'm sure she is going to be interested in something like this.
New Mommy said…
I use Mother-ease diapers and covers. The covers NEVER leak, and I love the fully adjustable, one-size nappies! Five stars for Mother-ease!

I much prefer saying "nappy" to "diaper." It seems to describe the material on my boy's bum much more accurately.

(Correction. The only time the diaper cover leaks is when I forget to check all of the openings- user error, never a design error.)
Anonymous said…
ditto that on mother ease rocks! ;) i am very much enjoying my covers. also, nothing will clean those nappies like fresh sunshine! we always had a clothes line growing up and i have insisted on having one at every house we've had since we've been married. one thing though.. just personal experience but i DO NOT like using the umbrella style. i like the old double line long clothes line. maybe you'll have more luck that me but i find them too cramped. then again, i have more laundry than you. ;) i can't wait to read about you running out on late summer afternoons to get your clothes off the line in the thunder and lightening! haha.
jennifer