Rug un-shopping

Thanks to the constant rainfall, we spent a good bit of Thurday watching YouTube animal videos (the last one being my favorite, not because of its implication of humanity ascending, but for its use of Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra, plus the uncomfortable, but cute dispositions of the animals). Ah yes, and Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf (three parts). I didn't much like the grandpa's pipe-smokin', but the kids were mesmerized by the whole production. Oh, and we mustn't forget David Oistrakh playing Claire de Lune. Melt.

Friday, we needed to get out of the house. Off to Ikea we went at 9 AM. Traffic was unusually horrendous for a Friday morning, but at least we were out of the house. Ikea is a store that I rarely go into knowing exactly what I'm looking for. But, somehow, I always walk out of there with several useful items that I feel I've gotten quite a bargain on. Yesterday's great find was a rug for our dining room.

Ever since New Daddy chose Italian Countryside over English Countryside for our dinnerware pattern, I have known that his taste in "things" is better than mine. He came home and declared the rug hideous. A quick phone call to Aunt Ma, utilizing her impeccable decorating skills and the Ikea website, confirmed the rug that I should have gotten. New Daddy concurred. But, alas, just as I had spied that very one in the store, Precious disappeared into the hanging rugs, and fifty-seven seconds of complete panic ensued. After we recovered from that, all I wanted was to pay and get home. And so I arrived home with the hideous-looking, but quite cozy rug.

(Okay, so the right rug was slightly more expensive, and I was making a previously undiscussed, therefore unauthorized purchase. This also made buying the wrong one slightly more favorable.)

Today changed all that. We returned our unfortunate purchase to Ikea. As it turned out, New Daddy didn't like Aunt Ma's choice, so we came home with a completely different rug that works very well. I am happy to state that, after an abrupt pause, decorating success now continues in the dining room. Now, let's move the table back so we can actually eat in there again. And have fires in the living room fireplace, like we're supposed to.

Comments

Marie said…
Well, in truth, my absolute favorite rugs come from Pottery Barn--but that's not where you were shopping, and they're about 2-3 times more expensive than Ikea...!

I would love to see pics of the new rug--though the ones of the kids on the rug can't be beat. (sigh) And when do we get to see you next?

Love you all!
Anonymous said…
my sister has Italian countryside. but may i recommend FRENCH countryside???!!! ;) it is the best choice of all.

just so you know, stephen is our resident decorator and it is well established i have no taste and cannot match anything. i bring home things that are way overpriced (and return them) or i bring home things off the side of the road (and he burns them). therefore i am no longer allowed to go dumpster diving or bring home area rugs. :(

glad you've achieved success in room, send pics!
jennifer
New Mommy said…
Marie- I love pottery barn, too. Sigh. Obviously, the rug is more utilitarian than aesthetic. It's primary purpose is to keep the grout clean from our food droppings.

Not sure when we'll meet up again?

Jenn- You Crack Me Up! I think we have good taste, but it might not always go with everything else, yes?