Bubby and Daddy

This week, New Daddy went "back to work." 58.6 miles across town, that is. He's now up at 6:59 AM to leave at 7:00 and returns home around 7:30 PM. In general, my life has become a lot easier by having one fewer person's needs to meet all day. After I mentioned this to New Daddy twice, he told me he was tired of hearing this fact for the twentieth time. I really am amazed at the difference. New Daddy is not impressed with my wonderment.

Interestingly, around the first of the week, Bubby started sleeping very poorly. He would wake up at 5:30 in the morning. After I would change his diaper and lay him back down, he seemed insistent that it was time to wake up. The past two nights, he woke up at least three times screaming with a wet diaper (cloth nappies, mind you-- quite the miserable situation). Even after I changed him, though, he would still scream. I tried various comforting techniques, like putting my hand on his chest and leaving slowly.

Wednesday, I re-consulted Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, which has always provided explanations and clear directions. It didn't seem to quite address this problem. Finally, after listening to him scream for a few mornings, I finally decided to stay in his room for a few moments after the diaper change to reassure him of my presence and to wait for him to fall asleep. This morning, I dozed on his floor. Harder on me, yes, but it seemed to work. He slept, and I even got to catch a few more winks.

Tonight at 6:55, Bubby was wearing down and ready for sleep. I called New Daddy to see if I should keep Bubby up until he got home. He was about ten minutes from the house. On a whim, and totally against Bedtime Rules, I kept Bubby up. New Daddy entered in his usual flurry of baby-tossing, chasing, and ferocious dog-barking. I finally laid Bubby down around 8:00; the only thing we heard from him was a soft "hey" when I was brushing Precious' teeth. I'm thinking tonight will be much different from the previous nights this week.

The conclusion. New Daddy started working from home almost a year ago. Bubby can't remember a time that New Daddy hasn't constantly been here. This week, when I would open the gate to the basement, Bubby would inquire, "Daaa?" I would explain to him that Daddy had gone bye-bye. But, this week's new schedule was such that Bubby was only able to see New Daddy in the morning, never in the evening, and of course, not at all during the day.

Tonight, it finally clicked. Daddy's presence and all that Daddy is, is ingrained in Bubby's sense of self. If he does not see New Daddy before he sleeps, something goes very wrong. The rest of tonight will test this theory. But, I do believe we've finally figured it out.

New Daddy is from this day forbidden to work overtime!

(at least away from the children)

edit: Saturday, 6:32 PM. Bubby slept soundly all night. He woke up at 6:20, and I changed him. He quietly talked to himself until I went to get him at 6:50. Tucked him into bed with us and nursed him back to sleep until 8:30, when Precious woke up. [sigh]

Comments