Wheelchairs

This came up in a recent store visit. There was a man in a wheelchair, and Precious stared. Then, she asked, as tactfully as she could, "What is he- that man doing?"

I hurriedly answered, "He's in a wheelchair." After he passed us, I gave her a furtive speech on avoiding staring, pointing, and describing people while they're right there.

Looking back, I realized that mine probably wasn't the best approach. I did a quick Google search: react child person in wheelchair. I came up with this helpful article that also gives exercises to help children relate to handicapped people. Then, there's this parents' forum. Parents who use wheelchairs telling us how to talk to our own children about people in wheelchairs.

After reading a little, I think it was good that I was matter-of-fact. However, I'm sure the man in question, or his assistant could tell that I was embarrassed and trying to gloss over his Difference. Funny, the parents in wheelchairs say that they actually enjoy children being frank and openly curious. I guess it's a nice contrast to all of us uncomfortable adults!

Ideas?

Comments

Anonymous said…
this has happened with each of my children. i have always just gone up to that person and said hello and let my child see me talking naturally to them. i tell them that my child was asking about their wheelchair, that they had never seen one before. the person usually is very friendly and seems appreciative of my efforts and explains to the children that this is his legs and helps him get around.
you did fine though, we've all had those moments. :)
jenn
p.s. wheelchairs are nothing, wait til they see their first midget. :0 i think kids love seeing this small person that is similiar to them yet driving and buying stuff!
Anonymous said…
wanted to add that all small people we have seen are very kind and don't seem offended by children's open curiosity. but i HAVE taught my children (as they are older and understand this) to wait until we are in the van before asking me anything, then we can talk about it. stage whispers in the check out line at walmart is neither the time nor place. :) but when they are little, what can you do? ;)
jenn